Early spanking makes for aagressive toddlers!

Article attached from the main page of Yahoo news this morning.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20090915/hl_hsn/earlyspankingsmakeforaggressivetoddlersstudyshows

MomofDom21

Asked by MomofDom21 at 2:27 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think counting and saying Please to your kid over and over makes them a controlling little animal, but that is just my personal opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Hmm. My kids were never agressive toddlers. Quite polite actually. They're now 29 & 26, so the few swats they got, apparenlty they survived nicely.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• The article talks about spanking a 1 or two year old, not a 6 year old. I was spanked as a child, not a baby. I am a psychologist and I already knew that spanking already aggressive children makes them more aggressive, but I would never spank a baby anyway. It isnt logical to spank a 1 year old that spends the day modeling behavior. Hitting is not something I would want my son to model. I dont say please all day. I say No and enforce time outs, and I ignore tantrums because children thrive off attention, negative or positive, so I dont give any attention to tantrums.
    MomofDom21

Answer by MomofDom21 at 2:41 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Unfortunately, in studies such as these, they are not controlling all factors. So to say that it is the spanking alone and not some other factor that is contributing is not accurate. The use of only low income families could also affect this. Perhaps they are under more stress and have a harder time with life in general and this stress is passed to their kids. I think you're more likily to see the aggressive behavior in abused children, rathern than just spanked. It also doesnt' say how the child was spanked and for what offenses and if other forms of discipline were used as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• This is why i flick and not 'spank' watch a toddler try to figure out how to do that back... Actually we do use the counting method. We are in general a non-spanking family. I will not say i have never swatted my kid though fro something like darting into the street/parking lot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• As a psychologist, you should know the dangers of reading an ARTICLE and not the actual STUDY before forming an opinion about a topic.

The article leaves too many questions open, unanswered.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My kids got swats after age 1 not before and it was rare.
    They havent sustained any major damage from occasional swats on the padded behind.

I dont care what an article says...in a couple years it will say the opposite or something completely different. They always do. I cant base my parenting on articles.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:55 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I was beat with a belt, I was not agressive and I am not an ax murderer or a criminal but a productive member of society who knows to hit a child with a belt is gross, if not abuse. I swat on the but only for very serious, life threatening behavior...hardly ever. Time outs work best for us. My little ones are 3 and 4. These articles are blanket statements. Every case is different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Sep. 15, 2009