How do I get over that I lost everything?

From making bad decisions and divorcing the man I love because I was so PO and hurt, upset because he lost his job. We have to sell our truck, RV, and filed bankruptcy, which we lost our home. Our son dropped out of college to get a full time job to help pay bills, which did not help. I rather he stayed in college. I know I can not change to past, but I also can not move on with my life because I fell so depressed about losing everything. How do I move on? How do I get over this?

lovetodance003

Asked by lovetodance003 at 2:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• If you really loved your husband you would've stuck with him through better or for worse. I'd NEVER leave my husband because he lost his job.....etc. The only way you're going to get through this is with God's help. He's the only one that can heal you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Family is more important than material posessions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• If you filed bankruptcy, then you have a chance to start over, clean slate.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• One day at a time. Or if that is too daunting try every 30 minutes. If this is truly rock bottom then you can't go anywhere but up. And I am a firm believer that nothing is put in front of you that you can't handle. Keep your chin up and keep moving forward. Be thankful for your son and that you are here living and breathing! It can and will get better. Good luck.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 2:40 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• You can't really "get over it". But you can pick up the pieces and move on. It's not easy. I've been there. But the alternative, depression and misery are no fun.

You'll be ok in time. It hurts and will for a while. But you will be ok. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• All good advice on here...just wanted to add that I am at a really low point in my life too and suggest some uplifting motivational self help type of books. You can check them out free at the library. I know it sounds corny, I was never a fan before but it's surprising when you need it how much it helps. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Believe it or not the old saying "this too will pass" is true. We bought a house here in California in the early 90's, just before the housing market crashed, & the aerospace industry here crashed. He lost his job. We lost our home, & had several years where we didn't have enough income to pay our bills. We had to file bankruptcy too. We didn't get a divorce, we stuck it out together, but we had some really rough times. We both felt that there wasn't much we could do, but dust ourselves off, & do everything in our power to take care of our family. Today we own a nice home, live a reasonably comfortable life, & we've learned what we're capable of doing in hard times. We know there are no guarantees. We could lose everything tomorrow.

I know how hard it is to lose your home & financial security, but my best friend would give it all up r if she could make her husband healthy again. He's dying of cancer. Things are just things
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:34 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Time to quit crying and being depressed and get up and do something about it while you still can! It's gonna take a lot of hard work on everyone's part, it took you all going through it to get to this point together, now fix it together, (Not your son's responsibilty as much), crap happens, most of us have bad credit or have and are having to fix our situations, my own mother (a single mother) filed bankruptcy after marrying her husband, she always worked two jobs, we had a house, and I graduated college, all while living at home, we have been through some very hard times, no dad or other income either! But then she marries this man who is supposed to be her companion and screwed her over. It happens to people, but now's the time to help you and your family!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• The same happen to me. DH lost job on my birthday, lost house last year out of job for 6months. I'm also very sick. Instead just went into action to help him find another job, cut back on everything we could. He landed a contract job for 6 months, the hard part is getting a new place no one would rent to him, I figured out a way, now he has a roof over his head. The key was to be a team
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Losing everything can be a good thing if you look at it as an opportunity to begin a new life. If you love your x then go tell him and rebuild your life better than ever.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2009