Do you stick to a daily routine with your children?

Or are you more of a "fly by the seat of your pants" type and everyday is different?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• No routine here, life is not a routine, you have to be ready for change cuz you never know what's going to happened the next day, I don't want my kids growing up with a certain routine and when something different comes up they don't know what to do, Besides routine is boring doing something different everyday keeps things exciting and it just makes it for a better day.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:46 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Daily routine here! DD (27 months old) thrives off of her routine.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 2:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I do routine things such as dinner around the same time everyday, naptime and bedtime same thing. I don't think it's "boring" I think that most kids thrive and need consistancy (aka. routine) in their lives. I don't do the same activities at the same time everyday either. I mix it up to give some variety too.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 2:50 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• We have to have a routine. (different than a schedule)

They have to be up at a certain time for school, and leave at a certain time for school (the older two)

Therapy is at a certain time because the therapist has a schedule involving other kids.

Lunches are within the 11-12 hour.

Nap starts at 12 because he has to be up by 2 in order to have time for a snack before we have to leave between 2:30 and 2:45 to go get the oldest at school (30 minute drive w/ good traffic)

We get back around 4ish and supper is around 6ish.

Bedtime is 8pm for the little two and no later than 8:30 for the oldest.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Used to have a somewhat routine but DD really never was good at following it !
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 3:33 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I try to because my sons seems to behave better but we don't want always stick to it.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 3:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• We have routines for some things. Meals & bedtimes are the same time each day. We do grocery shopping & library on the same days each week.
    Other than that, we're pretty flexible. Chores get done every day, what time they get done isn't really important. We homeschool, so schoolwork gets done every day. How much work, when we do it, & how long it takes varies each day.
    We keep routines for the things we can, but we still have to allow for a lot of flexibility. While the stability of routines & schedules is important, being flexible is also important. It helps kids learn to deal with the unexpected. Plus, if you're always on a strict schedule, you may miss wonderful opportunities.
    busygoddess

Answer by busygoddess at 3:57 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Every night I write out the next days schedule. We generally stick to it, but there is room for flexibility.
    HaydensMommy007

Answer by HaydensMommy007 at 5:44 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• i guess i have a hybrid style between a set schedule and no schedule. there's some things, like when he sleeps or gets up or starts his bedtime routine, that is scheduled. but for the most part, we just go with the flow. i want him to know that there are certain things that are constant in his life, so he isn't in a perpetual state of uncertainty. but i don't want him needing every second of his day to be micromanaged, so we can pick up and go to the park or visit his grandparents, if that's where the day takes us.
    nemiller

Answer by nemiller at 6:41 PM on Sep. 15, 2009