Can you collect unemployment after quitting?

I resigned from my job for personal reasons and was wondering if I can collect, but at a lower amount or something. I have a phone interview scheduled for next week but don't know what to expect.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• No-I think that its only if you were let go-but leaving bc you want to-I don't think so.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• in my state no you cannot collect if you quit your job or are fired. you have to be laid off to receive benefits.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:43 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• What state are you in? In CA, yes you can. (I just learned this recently on the Unemployment website). But it seems that the circumstances need to be extreme. Look on your states' website.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I hear in some states, that being fired would fall under involuntary job loss.......That's what I hear anyways.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Depends on the circumstances. Why did you quit? Look up your reasons and find the right terminology to get the interviewers attention. I found that "Hostility in the workplace" was a door opener for me. (DH quit and the assistant manager was making my life hell because of it).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• OP here - I live in NJ, and the website doesn't really say. I resigned due to personal reasons.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• You can certainly try, but chances are you will be denied.

I do career & job search coaching. I am always happy to help cafemoms (and dads) with resumes, cover letters, job search strategy & interview prep. Feel free to contact me offlist.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:49 PM on Sep. 15, 2009