Breastfeeding make your period stop?

I had a baby in may and have had VERY regular periods since then. June July and August I got my period each time on the 8th, but not this month. I'm a week late, been having some bad cramps (on and off) for 1 1/2 weeks and been near to tear at a lot of things (which could just be a lack of sleep lol) I have been breastfeeding my DD since birth. Can breastfeeding make an otherwise regular period stop? Or is it more likely that I'm pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Umm.. I never had a period until my first DD was 8 months and with my 2nd DD 11 months.. But I would test with first mornings urine just to make sure.. I have heard of unregular periods but not having a regular period and then not...
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 3:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Well, breastfeeding does make your period become lighter or none. But in your situation, there could be other factors or may be a sign of pregnancy. Well, just do a pregnancy test instead of guessing.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 3:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Wow, this is weird. I have been breastfeeding for almost 14 months and still haven't had my period. All my friends that breastfeed don't have periods. But, I am going to give you the answer all the other mom's are going to give you too...take a pregnancy test!
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 3:33 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• What did the pregnancy test say?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• every woman is different some womanget a period the whole time they bf while others once in a while and some dont get a period till they stop bf
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:46 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Since you have had your period since having the baby I'd say you could possibly be pregnant. If you hadn't gotten your cycle yet, I would say it's just normal, but since you've been regular I'd at least test.

I'm one of the ones who doesn't get a cycle for over a year after giving birth because of breastfeeding, but everyone is different and for some breastfeeding does not stop your fertility.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 3:51 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• i don't think it would be regular for 3 months and then just stop. it could be pregnancy, or stress, or just random irregularity. if it's a week late a test should be accurate, but buy 2 just in case! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• We are going to buy a test tonight and test in the morning. Thanks for your input!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Well it was negative :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Sep. 15, 2009