have a step parent? are you one?

If you have one do you treat the step parent the same as your bio-parent?
how long has your step parent been your step parent?

If you are a step parent do you expect the same treatment as the real mom?

how old and how long have you been the step parent?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have a step-father who has been a father in everyway. My bio-father has nothing to do with me, by his own accord. He's been my step-father for 13 years.

Honestly, I dont think a step-parent should be treated the same. I mean, they should show the step-parent respect of course.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 3:50 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My dad married my step mom when I was like 8-21 now- and she IS my real mom. I don't have contact with my bio mom, my step mom is the one who raised me. I treat her with all the respect in the world. I am also a step mom to a 3 year old (long story) and I don't expect him to treat me the same as his mom, but I do expect him to respect me and treat me that way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I have a step (dad), he's not my dad or father, my mother married him 2 months after I was married (2007)! I hate him, I see right through his BS and his sarcasim, but I speak my mind too, I don't take his crap I dish it right back! He is a control freak and a cry baby, he lies and tries to cover up his past, he thinks he's got my whole family snowed and he tries to get them all to like him, some do, some don't, me and my hubby really don't!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I have a stepmother and had a stepfather(mom and he divorced several years ago).

I didnt have either til after I was an adult so I was never really around them. My stepfather was an abusive twit and when I lived with them we didnt talk a whole lot. I respected him because he was my mothers husband but we didnt like each other much.

My stepmother I dont deal with. She's a manipulative troll but I say nothing because my dad married her and Im an adult living my own life so it boils down to me not feeling like its any of my business.

When asked I told my feelings and that was it and that was 6 yrs ago. We just dont talk or anything.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:52 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I have a step mom
    my dad only married her to fix his credit and take half her income...go figure
    he's a deadbeat if you cant already tell

well she got treated like any other one of the girls my dad used; that is like they are nothing and they are infact nothing to me. I barely spoke to my dad and barely went over but when I did I didnt care to talk to her.

She married my dad when I was 12 they divorced 5 years later, he's collecting hs money, sadly she doesnt know thats why they are married which makes me think she is even more stupid because it is so obvious...he would even say it, i guess she just thought that he was joking...NOT
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 3:57 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Ive had two step fathers. My first was abusive towards my Mother. When my mother tried to leave him, he kidnapped me. He never harmed me EVER! but I saw what my Mom went through and then he took me from her and she was all I had so that was hard. THEN my Mother finally got away married another man and he was one of those 'I'm always right and you're always wrong' people... My Mom had his child and he became mean to me... Its sad he had to be mean to me cause I wasnt his. It made me grow up resenting my little sister, because he treated her so good and me so bad. On top of that every fight they got into he had to drag me into it cause I was my Moms one weakness... and I wasnt stupid I heard and knew what he thought of me... He was with my mom from the time i was 7 to 16... The first marriage was 5-6ish years old..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I agree with mommylee08....

I grew up knowing my dad...but he was never really around.....and chose his girlfriend and her kids over me....

my step father was for all pupose's is my father! after all he was the one who raised me....i am who i am today because my mom and step dad were a constant support...while my dad was never there...

my mom and step father were together since i was 6....and married when i was 10....and now i'm going to be turning 20 in october!

anyone can be a "dad" but it takes a MAN to be a father....

EmilyAnn1012

Answer by EmilyAnn1012 at 4:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I have had step parents on both sides. My parents split up when I was 6. My mom had lots of loser boyfriends but the last one she had right before she died, he was awesome. He never tried to be a "father figure" or anything but I found myself always asking his opinions on everything and talking to him alot. My dad has also had a string of girlfriends that I haven't liked but the one he has now is awesome. They have been together for a few years and I've often accidently called her mom. She rocks, lol. I wasn't nice to the ones I didn't like but the two I've mentioned, I was very respectful but they never tried to take the "parental roll" either. That might be why I adjusted so well to having them around.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 4:04 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• HAH! My Stepmother cheated on my Dad, and when he confronted her about it she called the cops and said he hit her.. He has never ever been an abusive man! Then he was sent to jail for it... She was still living in HIS house with her new Boyfriend while he was in jail. When my Brother went over there to tell her either her BF had to leave or they both did she tried to get her BF and his friends to beat him up.. Bahaha! That didn't work well... Anyway did i mention she is Illegal from Mexico and only married my Dad to get legalized. From what Im told she never turned in her paperwork so im not sure if she is even legal or not now that theyre divorcing
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I have a step dad. I LOVE him, probably more than my Bio Dad. He came into our life when I was 10 or 11. I think the biggest thing he did RIGHT was not to yell at me, if he had a problem with somethine I was doing, he'd tell my mom so SHE could parent me for it-and it wasn't often. he was very accepting, even when we were rotten. I think it takes a great person to walk into any kids age they have not bonded with and try to lvoe them.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:29 PM on Sep. 15, 2009