How do you make bed time easier?

My daughter throws a royal fit at bed time. We lay her down and she screams bloody murder for about 30 minutes until she finally passes out. What can I do??

SouthernDrama

Asked by SouthernDrama at 3:59 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tequila shot for mommy before. Just kidding.

Maybe she needs more quiet time before you lay her down. You know, lights down low. Quiet music and lots of snuggles with you while you read to her.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 4:09 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• LOL upsydaisy!
    Put Christmas lights up in her room. Do they still make "GloWorm" toy? What if you laid 3 books in her bed and let her read only if she stayed in her bed.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• You might try reading "The NO Cry Sleep Solution for TOddlers and Preschoolers" by Elizabeth Pantley. I found she had some useful suggestions if you want to avoid the tears. Also, make sure she's ready to sleep when you put her done. When we had a problem with our son torturing us at bedtime, we discovered the problem was he really wasn't tired enough. Adding a bit more activity into his day and shortening his nap a little (up by 2:30) helped a lot. (We stumbled into this discovery. One day when he happened not to nap, we had no trouble at all getting him down. A little experimenting with his schedule allowed me to come up with optimum times for nap and bedtime. We adjust each day as needed.)
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:17 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I have that same problem. how old is she? I have found something that works 75% of the time depending on her age. and it sounds WAY too easy to work - make sure you do her normal routine, dinner, bath, books - etc.. here's what I do - after we are done reading his books ( he's 22 months ) I say Max, guess what, you get to sleep in your crib/bed with your elmo, your blue blanket, your music bear and you get to sleep all night long cause you had such a busy day today and need your rest, look, elmo is waiting for you to snuggle him. lets go give elmo a friend to snuggle with ..I couldn't believe it, it worked... not sure why I tried it one night but I was shocked -for the first time EVER, no screaming?? now, it hasn't worked every night but it lessens his crying now from 45 minutes to sometimes only 10 - which is HUGE!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:20 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• cont'd we use this when we go to the park to, we are just giving him more of a heads up of what is going on and what exactly he is doing and preparing him for it. We are so far 100% for leaving the park tantrum free using this - max, ok 5 minutes we have to leave the park, ok, 2 more times down the slide .... ok buddy, this is your last time then we need to race to the stroller and walk home... !!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:24 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I know this may sound bad, but my kids have a tv in their room. I make them watch something boring like thomas the train or letters to classical music. It lulls them to sleep and they think I'm letting them stay up to watch TV. I know it's probably not ideal for you ,but desperate times....
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 4:30 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I pick out a cartoon movie, Horton Hears A Who is a favorite, and she watches and sips on some juice and passes out.
    Sharde88

Answer by Sharde88 at 7:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I'd go with a good routine that you stick to. . . maybe add a nice walk outside if you can or a bit of playtime before bath and bedtime stories. Personally I'd stay away from TV but that is my own choice. . . Nothing is going to work 100% of the time. . . GL
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 15, 2009