How long to your prenatal appointments last, on average? What happen during your appointments?

I'm talking about the time you are actually spending with you midwife or OB.

For me: I go to my midwifes home and our appointments ate typically 2 hrs long (some shorter some longer).

She does the usual stuff: weight, pee sample, blood pressure, etc

However, we really get to go over my questions in great detail. She recommended books, then we discuss books I've read.

We talk about my diet (making sure I'm getting enough protein) and different herbal things for my pregancy.

I LOVE my midwife, and I LOVE the time we spend together... I get to see her today.

That is it in a nut shell...

I forgot, I get massages from her too =-)

hillmom

Asked by hillmom at 4:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Shooot I wish I had that time with my Dr.

I go in, get weighed, check my pulse thing, pee test, listen to the baby's heart rate, & I'm out the door!

So all in all, about 15 minutes max.

You're lucky :)
    brookethomas

Answer by brookethomas at 4:05 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• For me it's the same. I just had an appointment earlier today and we spent around two hours talking about my birth plan. She's always attentive and doesn't let time stop her from covering everything. She's awesome.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 4:07 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• am not pg but with both my kids like 10-15 mts.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:07 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I usually spend about an hour. Sometimes less, sometimes a little more.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:13 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• maybe 10-15 min. I go, pee, check heartbeat, ask questions.
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 4:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I go to a midwife who has a rather large practice here in town. The apts usually last about 30-50 min. depending on how long it takes her to find the babies heart beat (she doesn't like to let us listen to her heart lol). I go in pee in a cup, and dip the sticks in then give the nurse the readings. The midwife comes in checks my blood pressure, we talk, she pokes around on my stomach and she tries t oget a heart beat.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 5:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• pshh i wish yeah I'm there 2 hours waiting!!and like 5 with my doctor she always in such a damn hurry

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• wait for like 15 mins, get called back, pee in cup, blood pressure taken and weight, go to room, wait 5-10 for doc, see doc for like 10-15 mins, sometimes they run the handheld thingy on my belly to check the heartbeat but sometimes they just basically ask how i am. they are nice docs, i just hate the phone call policies cause i usually have to call a bunch of times to get someone to answer and then the nurses are totally useless and never give me accurate advice. its very frustrating
    sammybear71

Answer by sammybear71 at 6:19 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• 15 minutes was standard until I saw a perinatologist, then it was 45. I wish I could just use a midwife.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 8:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• They would tend to be more like 2 hours, but occasionally as short as an hour. But most women I talk with say their midwife prenatals are an hour or so.

We would sit on the bed in the room I'd give birth in and talk about what is going on in my belly, what is going on in my mind (worries, fears, expectations, confusion, concerns), and what is going on in my heart (if I trust in myself, have confidence, etc.)
    We'd sip tea & eat homemade treats. We would check the vitals... Get a massage or hugs, share tear, etc.

Going to prenatals was like visiting a sister or counselor~ she was VERY nurturing and understanding, giving me a lot of undivided attention.

I've had a total of a few years of time with my midwives now, all excellent!! Can't help it, but I wonder why so many folks opt for surgeons (OBs) when they aren't sick! ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:09 PM on Sep. 15, 2009