Has anyone ever heard of the Avent Niplette?

I had a miserable time trying to bf my first born due to my flat nipples. I dont want to go through it again and was looking online and found the Avent Niplette which slowly draws your nipple out permanently. It works by suction and the process takes 1-3 months. I am wondering if anyone else has tried this or have a solution for flat nipples which hinder proper latch.

Jaxonsmom

Asked by Jaxonsmom at 4:14 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I actually saw the medela nipple shields at target the other day while doing my Baby registry. My Cousin was with me and has been a surrogate several times. She said it works well with women who have flat or inverted nipples.. Also if the nipples are way to tender to let the baby feed. This handy little thing stops a lot of the pain.
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 4:22 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My friend used the latch assist by lansinoh. She loved it.
    gradysmom2006

Answer by gradysmom2006 at 5:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I completely pulled my flat nipples out during my last 2 months of pregnancy by wearing the medela breast shells for inverted nipples. Target sells them online and some Target stores carry them. They are cheap. Just wear them in your bra a few hours a day for the last 8 weeks of pregnancy. My nipples were completely drawn out in only 5 days! Not only was I able to breastfeed without a problem, but I felt better about my body because my nipples looked normal.

What causes flat and inverted nipples is a ligament that runs from your nipple to the inside of your breast. In some women this ligament is too tight and pulls the nipple down. Wearing the shields stretches (completely painlessly) the ligament and thus "draws" the nipple out.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:08 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Here is a link to the shells on Target.com:
    http://www.target.com/Medela-Soft-Shells-Inverted-Nipples/dp/B000058DPM/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&searchView=grid5&searchNodeID=16011241&node=16011241&searchRank=pmrank&searchPage=1&searchSize=30&id=Medela%20Soft%20Shells%20Inverted%20Nipples

They are $14.99. Feel free to message me if you have any questions at all. I've BF two babies.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:09 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• hey call the lactation consult up at cov. when i had my first i had terrible nipple pain from over engorgment and she gave me some nipple shield type thing. you could probably talk to them about your concerns they are wayyyyyyyyyyy awesome!! let me know what happens
    06-07mom

Answer by 06-07mom at 6:43 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• firehearson- your cousin was a surrogate breastfeeder? Or did she breastfeed the babies that she carried for other women?

Op- My sister used the Lansinoh ones and loved them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• lol anon:03 I was wondering the same thing! I heard the Medela breast shields are awesome. My friend used them at first with her son. She was happy with them.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 7:10 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• LOL what I meant by adding that she was a surrogate was that she takes classes on all this stuff she is also a doula.. I dont know if she breastfeeds the babies she carries at first but I know for the latest baby she pumps and takes it to the family. Her own kids were breastfed though.
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 1:26 AM on Sep. 16, 2009