How does immigrant legalization work?

I just answered a question about stepparents and mentioned my Dad married an Illegal immigrant from Mexico.... Well I was told she didn't finish her paperwork and now they're divorcing. I always thought that if you married someone you were automatically in? I guess not? Anyway she is a bad bad woman and needs to go back to mexico anyway. She kidnapped my nephews, had her BF and his friends try and beat up my brother. Sent my Dad to jail for 'hitting' her (he has never been violent)... Sent her 15 year old daughter back to mexico to marry a man who beat her and she didnt want to be with... Eek! this lady is nuts!

Just curious how Legalization works where a marriage of a citizen is involved?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• She has to have to green card(the ID of resident of US). But from what you said, she didn't even finish her paperwork so I assume your Dad and his Mexico wife haven't even get interviewed by USCIS office. Well, then she can't stay here any longer anyway otherwise you can call USCIS to arrest her though.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 4:21 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• no, he has to filed for adjustemnt of status, after that she has to filed abunch of paper work and hired a lawyer ( everything is about 5 grand maybe more) but if your dad did hit her(am not saying she didn) she is protected byu a new law that gives asylum to batter woman
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:46 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Well I really don't think he did. I've never even heard him raise his voice.. Seriously never! But as soon as he was in jail she sold both of his refurbished classic cars and brought her new man into My Dads home. So I think this is all about her being crazy....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Sep. 15, 2009