What would you give a 2 year old to help withh weight gain?

My twins are a little underweight. I don't want to teach them bad eating habits, so I am not just going to stuff them with Twinkies. I was looking for healthy ideas that will help with weight gain, like avacados. They are pretty good eaters, and they do love carbs, so that helps. Any other ideas?

Jessie.Rayot

Asked by Jessie.Rayot at 4:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The nutritionist I see suggested a few spoonfuls of peanut butter a day and to keep DS on whole milk. It has helped him gain a little. Plus added benefit, he gets all the protein he needs in those few spoonfuls.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 4:43 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• When we first took custody of our grandkids they were miserably underweight. The pediatrician suggested 2 cans/bottles of Pediasure or Kindercal a day. Our supermarket generic has a good flavor and way cheaper. They worked well for us.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• ahh! I never thought of peanut butter, they LOVE that! I can do apples and peanut butter for a snack, or even just a spoonful of peanut butter like you said, and still feel good about what I am giving them. (and I still have them on whole milk, about 5 cups a day!)
    Jessie.Rayot

Answer by Jessie.Rayot at 4:47 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I heard ensure helps you gain weight and it's full of vitamins, ask your twins pediatrician if they can have that.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 4:49 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• If you decide to use pediasure make sure that you don't overdo it because my son's teeth got stained due to excessive sugar intake in his diet (From pediasure)

I am a first time mom and when my son was 1 year old he started losing weight so the pediatrician recommended me to supplement with pediasure which I did, but the pediatrician fail to mention to discontinue using after he put on some weight and she didn't see him until his next check up appointment. The result a pedisure addicted toddler with very stained teeth.

He is out of it and his teeth are fine now but I felt to share my experience with pediasure and how I over did it out of desperation to try to put some meet on his bones.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 4:54 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Watch the peanut butter, though! As much as they may like it, it can be constipating! (personal experience with that one!)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Anon :16 is right. The peanut butter can be constipating. My kids favorite snack is apple slices with peanut butter and raisins. The apples are a natural laxative so it balances things out pretty well. If you do just peanut butter by the spoonful, make sure they are getting enough fruit and fiber to keep them regular.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 1:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Awesome advice so far ladies! I am going to keep this open for one more day just in case anyone else has a new suggestion. Thank you for taking the time to help me out!
    Jessie.Rayot

Answer by Jessie.Rayot at 2:54 PM on Sep. 16, 2009