What is considered bi-racial?

I was watching the Tyra show today and it left me wondering... WHAT is considered bi-racial? Is it when you have two parents of different nationalities? Or when you have blood from different nationalities (no matter how far down the line). Its confusing. My dad says that you are what your father's nationality is. In that case he is Latino, yet he claims African American. My hubby feels the same. He has Latino and African American family but identifies as black only. So what do you think?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 4:46 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's any from a different race, black/white, hispanic/black....etc. But I think it's defined by the person them self. I also think they identify themselves by the race they feel closer to, while outsiders identify them by the skin color, i.e. a black/white might be identified black because of the darker skin, even if it is a lighter shade.

I know it's pointless, but i wish people could ignore race and go by their character.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I think it is just like being mixed from what your parents are and whatever the children are mixed from. Like hispanic and african american or white and hispanic or africa american and so on.. That is JMO
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 4:51 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• its when an off-spring has 2(bi) races.

Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 4:54 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• And if they have more then one?

Triracial, LoL
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 5:02 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Race and nationality are different.

If you are black and from Sweden, and I'm black and from Ireland, we are both the same RACE but not the same nationality.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• i think its anyone thats two different races. I am multi-racial. My mother is American Indian/African and My father is Irish/A.I. I am the whitest black girl in my family. my family is multi colored, and I mean that in blond hair blue eyes and tan skin to blue eyes and dark skin. I am very proud of where i came from.  Like the person before me I think Race and Nationality are different.

Luckybear05

Answer by Luckybear05 at 5:42 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I know anon. thanks for the correction...again
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 8:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2009