A question about HSDLA and Homeschooling...

I live in ny and im affraid when i mail the letter of intent CPS might come, Will HSLDA Protect me from CPS coming to my home?? (Oh,and before i mail the letter of intent i will join HSLDA)) : )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• First of all, why would you be afraid of CPS coming to your home? Do you have anything to hide? No? Then don't worry about it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• If you are homeschooling within your states laws and submitting all the correct paper work the school will not give you a hard time. Not to mention, homeschooling is NOT a CPS issue. If anything, you would get a visit from the school's truancy officer, not CPS.

Really, if you are this unclear on how it works you need to do some more homework on the laws for your state. Try to connect with other homeschoolers in your state (check out the Yahoo groups for your city/county, etc) and for more information. You seem confused.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Im Just AFFRAID THAT THEY ARE GOING TO/TRY TO TAKE MY CHILD AWAY!!! But i dont know with my school district!! they could be bad or good
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Sweety if they try to take your child away because you homeschool THEY will be the ones in very hot water, not you. Homeschooling is LEGAL in all fifty states and never let anyone try to tell you otherwise. I understand your fears, but please don't worry. I agree check and re-check the laws in your state, and join a local homeschool group. Remember you have every right to homeschool your child, just make sure you know the laws well so they don't try to pull one over on you. I doubt that will happen though.
    Mama2JoshKatie

Answer by Mama2JoshKatie at 6:48 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I was homeschooled for middle and high school and we were always mildy worried cause we heard of cases where people got seriously harassed for stuff like their kids playing outside before 3 pm. I don't know if those people had HSLDA or how much HSLDa can protect you but it was scary anyway. I think HSLDA is pretty good about protecting homeschoolers, but I'm not sure to what extent. We were always cautious about stuff anyway. Not sure the deal with your state and CPS though and I don't want to scare you so just check into it personally. But I hear ya about being scared for your kids. Homeschooling is getting more popular but it's still a minority and minorities always seem to have to fight for respect.
    sammybear71

Answer by sammybear71 at 6:52 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• OP ~ I believe you are the same one who posted this in the homeschool group...NO, CPS cannot be called on you for homeschooling. Follow the state laws for home educating in NY and you will be fine. You also do not need to join HSLDA to homeschool. Unless, you are having problems, I personally feel it is a waste of money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Join HSLDA if it gives you peace of mind. Don't worry about CPS, though. They really have better things to do than harass homeschoolers. There are many, many homeschoolers in NY. My friend homeschools there, and has never had a single issue with anyone.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:38 PM on Sep. 15, 2009