Do you check your ethnicity when asked to fill out legal documents?

I think it is optional but why would they want to know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I work in the mortgage industry and it has to be checked either by the client or by us and it is for government monitoring purposes....more than a few banks/lenders have been nailed because certain ethnic and racial "groups" have been turned down or given higher rates and etc

mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 8:58 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Statistics and data and all that. I usually check it off without a second thought.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• probably statistics purposes

but I check my race...I check white and black even if it says chose only 1
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 5:29 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

OK???? Perhaps someone working for the government can give us a better idea?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• if you want an answer from someone working for the gov. pick up your phone and ask....its really not as hard as you make getting an answer seem

and yes for statistcs
    check the irs website everything is categorized in race and age
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Hmmm, I never know how to answer, my dad is white, my mom latina......I look white. If I check hispanic people look at me like yeah right, if I check white, I feel like I'm denying my mom. If they have mixed I check that.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:56 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Yes.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 6:13 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

Then maybe you should have said "answer only if you work for the government." It is for statistical purposes and data. For instance, if you are applying for financial aid, they want to be able to tell what percentage of what race is applying for this type of financial aid. A mom website is a good place to get info on government matters! What a bitch.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• ahahhaha....some one working for the government? Why dont you just rephrase your question so you can look for the answer you were wanting.....
    Statistics and data is a great answer and a true one. I dont really get what else you wanted from this question?
    Yes, I check it. Why wouldn't I?
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 6:45 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I never fill those lil squares I think they suck
    CSRodriguez

Answer by CSRodriguez at 6:55 PM on Sep. 15, 2009