Could menstral like cramps be real contractions?

I am 39 weeks, 2cm dialated, 75 effaced, I have been having period like cramps all afternoon. Could these be real contractions or just BH? Every once in awhile I will get the hard tummy but for the most part its crampy...

Mameech1

Asked by Mameech1 at 5:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes that is what they feel like at first.
    JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 5:41 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Contractions can feel like the baby is balling up, or like a tightening across your abdomen. Sometimes they feel like menstrual cramps. You may feel contractions in your lower back or down low in the front. Cramping is particularly common after having sex, when your bladder is full, when you get up or change position, or for a short time after exercising. The challenge is to distinguish Braxton-Hicks contractions (false labor) from the real thing. It is important to note that the contractions of preterm labor may not be painful.
    JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 5:42 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• That's labor! Go to the hospital and congrats!
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:44 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Oh, and as far the comment about Braxton Hicks...I get those a lot with all of my pregnancies and they are a tightening with no pain and never, ever come with a period like cramp.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:47 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• yep, let us know if you're having the baby or when you come home sometime.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 5:49 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I wanted to mention that the cramping seems to be going down my thighs too. Is that all normal???
    Mameech1

Answer by Mameech1 at 5:57 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Seriously, I think you're in labor. The pains can go into your back, down your legs, or just stay in your abdomen. It's different for everyone. If you have 6 contractions in an hour, it's labor. And again, BH are NOT crampy...just a tightening.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:12 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• yes

Answer by admckenzie at 6:17 PM on Sep. 15, 2009