Two year old with separation anxiety

I have a two year old daughter that has always been an independent childwho isnt afraid of anything, but over the past two weeks or so she has become very clingy. She follows me around the house, is always asking me to hold her, and she repeatedly says she's scared. When I tell her to go play with her older brother or to play in her room/outside she walks away screaming and continues until I go find her. As soon as I am in her sight she stops crying. I try to give her as much attention as possible, but this really isnt like her! Is this just a phase or is it something more? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

LeightonClaire

Asked by LeightonClaire at 5:38 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is doing the same thing..........not the crying thing..but wanting me to pick her up all the time..

give her time with you..but let her know momma needs to do somthing...and i know its gonna sound harsh..but ignore her....when she screams...and crys...in fact...scream and cry like her....she will notice that it looks strange..and she might not wanna look like that....
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 5:42 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• It sounds like it's just a phase, and it sounds like you are handling it just fine. Separation anxiety is completely normal. It is her way of communicating to you that she is a little scared of the changes (growth spurt maybe) and she just needs her mommy.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 5:44 PM on Sep. 15, 2009