My family and I don't really have a religion and I want to start taking my kids to church.

But I haven't a clue how to choose a church if I don't know what the difference is. Could anyone help me out???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• We started with churches where we could go with someone we knew, and eventually we went other churches where we didn't know anyone. We went to a different one each Sunday for a while, and then we'd go back to the ones we liked. You could try out a few to get a feel before doing more research and asking more questions about specifics.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Almost all churches have a difference. It all depends on what you believe in. Most Christian churches have pretty much the same views. Why not try out different ones in your area.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 6:21 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• This is great that you are starting church with your family God is good... Well first you need to just check a few Church's out each Sunday and take a bible and make sure they are preaching the word of God... Then is what one your hubby and kid or kids like and go from there ... Also there should be a local chanal on your T.v that shows Church's and the times of service etc... God bless you if you need anyone to talk to please pm me im here .... Congrats.. im very happy for you and your family ... God is good

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 6:22 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• well it depends on what you are looking for in a church. You should scout out the local churches and see if any of them have a website you can look at. The website will let you know what programs the church has, its beliefs, service times, etc. You have to choose a church that is a good fit for you. You can probably even call the church office to find these things out. Think of a list of questions that would tell you everything you need to know and visit each of them giving them a fair shot.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Another thought - my family didn't initially feel comfortable at any of the churches we tried. We did feel more comfortable after we'd been a few times. It was also very interesting to see the differences. If you go to a church when the regular preacher is not there, go back another Sunday and when he will be there to get a better picture of what is normal at that particular church.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• The advice above is good, but I really recommend giving a church more than one trial, unless they are just horrible. It is really hard to get a feel for a church on one visit.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:29 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• lowencope- what sort of questions would I ask. I honestly havent got a clue about any of this, im 22 and my parents never took me to church. i dont know what to even look for.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Quizzes/BeliefOMatic.aspx

Answer the questions honestly and it will tell you which denominations believe closest to your own beliefs.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• i'm a true believer that the lord will guide those seeking to know a church that he will send someone to help them find it. nothing is stronger then the pwoer of prayer & he wants nothing then for you to come closer to him. i have just read an article about a man searching for one when he was about to marry & when he prayed the mormon missionaries showed up at his door. he turned them away but then he heard a voice saying didn't you pray to know of a religion. he opened that door again & joined the church. he lost his fiance to his beliefs cause she gave him an ultimatum. me or the church. he couldn't deny what was a part of him. my father wanted this for his family & he tried 3 different churches before he prayed asking to know which church to go to. he too had the missionaries show up the very next day. this is my testimoney & i love this church. some hate us.earnest prayers are always answered according to your faith. pray
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:06 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• look at this website: www.gnmagazine.com ( or .org) make sure they have a bible study class. and i suggest you own and use the King James or New King James version of the Bible. They are MOST correct. there are many "feel good" churches where they only make you feel good, that's good but they also need to teach the Bible. choose wisely. I go to the united church of God international. which i believe has jewish roots, judeo-christian, Jesus was a Jew, Hope you find a good Bible-based church, i drive 25minutes to get to my church. and it lasts 2 hrs. i am happy that you want to go to church and study the Bible and apply it to your lives, The Bible is our life's HandBook. my prayers are with you, you have made a good decesion, the people in church -will become your "church "family" we have many "aunts" cousins"sisters"brothers" grandparents" in our church,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Sep. 15, 2009