What happened to civility?

Front page of the USA Today. Analysts claim it's due to the informality of the internet. Do you agree? And could this be why people are more vocal about their concerns and fears, especially concerning politics?

gludwig2000

Asked by gludwig2000 at 6:22 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Entitlement

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• umm, America was civil? When was that?? LOL
    1851-1877

May 22, 1856
    The Caning of Senator Charles Sumner

Caning of Sumner (NY Public Library) On May 22, 1856, the "world's greatest deliberative body" became a combat zone. In one of the most dramatic and deeply ominous moments in the Senate's entire history, a member of the House of Representatives entered the Senate chamber and savagely beat a senator into unconsciousness.
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Could this be why BO wants to have immediate control of the internet , citing of course, "national security" - the internet has become the biggest networking tool of all time. They can tell us to stand here to protest in person, they can usher us out if our t-shirt is offensive or questionable, they can shut us up by picking and choosing who's question to answer - but they can't keep up from typing our opinions, searching information for ourselves and making up our own minds on the internet.

Yes, there are much argument, conspiracy this and that, racial bias, rhetoric and nonsense - but there's also been a lot of honest debate, examination, collaboration and questioning. I think the ability to network with people from all over the country is the greatest tool America has ever had on the forefront of political information sharing.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 6:41 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• If it weren't for the internet, just imagine how uniformed we would be.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:52 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Could this be why BO wants to have immediate control of the internet

He doesn't

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:53 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

rolling on flooras if people are MORE infromed!! LMAO

sweet-a-kins

• I am informed because I read and go to the Library and watch Cable and Local news. I haven't learned anything here, for sure, except that everyone gets really rude and paranoid. It is really disgusting. There are very few polite people here or in general. It is shameful. No manners. AND so many posters use filthy language.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:33 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• The internet? When will you stop--please, NOW!
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 9:29 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I don't blame the Internet, I think when people are rude online it just gives a glimpse into their character in real life. There are some things I wouldn't say even under the anonymity of the Internet. I'm a very outspoken, opinionated person, but even I have lines I won't cross.

I don't think having the Internet has necessarily made people more informed or educated because not everything is valid. There's a lot of mis-information floating around.

If the government takes over the Internet, I'll STILL speak my mind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Sep. 15, 2009