11 1/2 weeks but measuring 16!!! Any experience with this?

I am pregnant with my 2nd and went in for a check today. The second the Dr. felt my uterus, she said, "You are big. . ." She said that I am measuring about 16-weeks. I am only 11 1/2 along. She said that if we didn't hear a heartbeat that they'd do an emergency sono but if we did hear a heartbeat not to worry about it and we'd monitor it at the next visit because I'll be having a sono. I expressed my concern but she just said we'd check it out next time.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Why? What happened? I'm 5'2" so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I measured large with my first, but only 2 weeks ahead and that wasn't until the third trimester. I'm just stressed now about it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:52 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It would help if you knew the date you ovulated. sometimes doctors can be wrong. I was measuring big and they induced at 38 weeks...turned out she could have cooked just a little longer and she was only 6 lbs 3 oz
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Is there a chance that your due date is wrong? In most cases that early it's because the due date is wrong. There is also a CHANCE you could be having multiples. I'd say you have no real cause for concern at the moment because obviously you are growing, so it would be best to just relax & wait it out for the sono. However, if you're unable to relax about it, you can also ask a second opinion from another doctor. Good luck mama!
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 6:56 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Most likely cause is you're just farther along than you think you are. Other common causes are multiple gestation, polyhydramnios (lots of amniotic fluid) and (super rarely!) hydatiform mole.

Also, at this stage it's really hard to tell what "big" is. Measuring won't do you any good until about 24 weeks. So don't freak. Chances are everything is perfectly fine :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:11 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I had that happen to me at the end of my pregnancy with my 4th. I was 34 weeks but meassuring 39.5, where 5 days before I'd measured 34 weeks. I went in the next day for an ultrasound just to make sure everything was ok since I was also retaining tons of water. After the ultrasound they said the baby might have been in a funny position or balled up and that was causing me to measure bigger. Otherwise are they sure you aren't having twins or that youe dates are off?
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 7:17 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Could possibly be twins, maybe that's why you're bigger and measureing further along...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• they did an ultrasound to confirm the due date for me (around 6 weeks).... did they do that for you? if not, i would not be too concerned bc she is just estimating based on the average
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:42 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I am the original poster. Thy did do an ultrasound and ironically, the ultrasound showed my due date a week later than what the typical calculation indicates. I also had a vaginal ultrasound and it's definitely a single.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My 2nd pregnancy she measured ahead too and was only born 2 days before my due date. She was 8lbs 7oz. The baby I just had was measuring always 2-3 weeks ahead and I had him 9 days early and he was 8lbs 12oz. So it could mean a big baby. I always knew when my last period was cause we was trying for the second and third baby but not the first. But my first and second baby are 8 days apart and last period was the last week of January.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on Sep. 15, 2009