Anyone not have health insurance?

We have health insurance from my former employer (I quit to be a stay at home mom) but it is almost $500 a month! We can hardly afford it and so I'm thinking about cancelling it and just paying for my daughters well-baby visits completely out of pocket. I know its not a good idea to not have insurance in case something big happens, but we can't really afford it and it's stressing me out! Also, I'm pretty sure we don't qualify for the state's insurance program for children. Anyone else in the same boat or gone through this in the past?

MollieDoll

Asked by MollieDoll at 7:03 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you'd be surprised at who qualifies for medicaid, go to your dept. of human services and fill out an application...it doesnt hurt to try.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 7:06 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• We're in that exact same position. We have insurance, but it's through a company DH doesn't work for anymore, so we pay the premiums. It's almost $300 a month for me and my oldest (youngest was just born so i dont have him on it yet). I thought about cancelling it after youngest was born, but i think i'll just hang on to it til we pick up insurance with DH's new company. Should be in a month or two i think. I'm going to look into CHIP for the boys up til that point, but i'm not sure we qualify because they already have insurance? I dont know how it works. And we might make too much $$, i cant find any specifics on it.

If that doesn't work out, i'm going to look into premium prices with private insurances and see if it's any cheaper than the group rate we have right now.
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 7:07 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I found out that for CHIP, medicaid will actually apply to that for you if you make too much for free health care, and the most it can be is around forty a month once you get chip. You need to call the welfare office, tell them that you just need health insurance, and tell them youi are goign to apply for both at once. That way, it makes the process shorter. In a month, you will have affordable coverage...Hope that helps.
    samanthaevans

Answer by samanthaevans at 7:10 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I would look into other programs before dropping it. Insurance is expensive but paying for any ER thing or hospitalization can be thousands and thousands and with small children, you never know. You think you're stressed now, you don't wanna be stuck with medical bills. Seek out alternatives of any kind. Good luck.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:11 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I do now cause my hubs works for BCBS. (it's painful cause we both hate BCBS but it's paying the bills). Me and my folks didn't have any since I was like early teens and I had to go to the ER like 4 years ago. We got stuck with 500 bucks and I wasn't working (long story) and I didn't have insurance. I was over 18 but my dad didn't want to see my in debt so they paid it cause he knew it wouldn't be good if we didn't pay. We talked to them and I didn't qualify for any help on paying it even though I was a single person with no job and no insurance so we just had to pay it outta pocket! My parents had originally cancelled BlueCross cause it was like 700 bucks a month or some nonsense. But it's so hard to make it without it. My folks can rarely see a doctor and it's sad.
    sammybear71

Answer by sammybear71 at 7:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My son was just in the hospital for 4 days. Our bill was 16,000!! Blue Shield payed it all because we have met our deductible. Over the course of my son's 2 years, Blue Shield has DEFINITELY payed more for my son's health care than we have, including the amount we spend on premiums. We have never had any issue with them.

well baby visits can be very expensive, especially if there are shots involved. Lab work is also expensive, and this is just routine stuff. What happens if your kid gets real sick and has to be hospitalized? Have you thought about just getting a plan that covers Major stuff?
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 7:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• You shouldn't have quit until you figured out the insurance thing. I HATE when Women say I'm a SAHM and I am on PA and struggling or my kids have NO insurance! If you're stuggling go back to work. Don't brag and say your satying home taking care of your kids but not really. If you can't afford health insurance, you're really NOT taking care of them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I have to agree with anon :31. I am going to school to be a nurse. My husband currently supports us 100% with zero assistance but it is hard to afford stuff like medical bills. I am going to work solely for the benefits!! The added income will be nice, but it really just comes down to having good health insurance. (i am not kidding here- if it weren't for my son's health problems, I would continue to be a SAHM. His medical bills are drowning us in debt) If you can't afford to provide basic necessities for your kids without getting on medi-cal, you can't afford to be a stay at home mom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Um anons, just because someone says they are THINKING of dropping their health ins because the cost doesn't mean they can't afford to be a SAHM! If you have a perfectly healthy child, sometimes it does make sense to save that money for emergancies instead of paying for "just in case".
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 8:30 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• hmm thats a hard one. I have heard of several programs , i think HealthyKids?...Im not sure. I have medicaid right now and im not sure how much longer we will have it. I hope while I can get through school....but if it is cancelled I will def. sacrifice other things ot have insurance for both of us. I do not want to have a 30,000 dolllar medical bill hanging over my head.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 10:54 PM on Sep. 15, 2009