Is it ok to be given a 10month old pedialyte in a 6 ounce bottle every hour? this is too much right? If so could anythin bad happen??

lilpeach9788

Asked by lilpeach9788 at 7:09 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dont think it will hurt him at all... I'm pretty sure you can drink as much of that stuff as you want without any harmful side effects. Read the bottle and see what it says.
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 7:12 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Nope, not gonna hurt. but they should also be getting milk/formula
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Have you ever heard of someone overdosing from Gatorade? Well, if not, then pedialite is ok, too, it's just a stronger dose of gatorade, and i don't think anyone can get too hydrated....LOL
    samanthaevans

Answer by samanthaevans at 7:13 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Do you mean 6 oz of pedialyte every hour? Or just serve it in a 6 oz bottle? If it's the first, then yes, 6 oz of pedialtye (or anything) every hour is too much for a baby. I highly doubt the doctor would have recommended that. My son has been sick many many times, and we are always told to start with 1 tablespoon of liquid first and gradually increase to a few ounces every few hours over the course of the day.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 7:13 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• But yes, it can hurt the baby. Pedialyte is an electrolyte replacement solution. Too much IS harmful. Too much Gatorade is harmful too.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 7:14 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Why so much so often? I would not do that if I were you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• why are you givben him so much is he sick?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• If the baby NEEDS pedialyte then it's ok to give....it's to keep them hydrated, if he's truly sick and that's all he will take then give it to him.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:24 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• That is WAY too much pedialyte to give... if your baby can take that much then he or she should start regular formula or breastmilk.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:34 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Calliesmommy: if a baby needs that much fluid, he needs to be in the hospital. Even if it's only being given during waking hours, that is approximately 50-60 oz of pedialyte in one day!! That is absurd! I'd hate to see that kids labs after that much pedialyte.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 8:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2009