My 3 yr old has out grown hichairs and won't sit in a boosterseat. He has known how to use a spoon since he was 1yr. however he now has refused to use it and so I feed him alot of his food. I hate it! I know it's my fault but how do I change it and get him to sit and feed himself?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Put him in a chair and put the food in front of him and if he won't feed himself, he'll be hungry until he decides he's going to eat. Don't give in and start feeding him, at 3 years old he's big enough to feed himself. No snacks no treats no toys and no television til he eats. Believe me, when he gets hungry enough, he'll eat!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 6:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• at 3 he's smart enough to manipulate you into feeding him so he dosnt have to. I agree with the above response. If he wont eat it himself let him be hungry a little. hunger is the best sauce, for this cure.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Sounds cruel but they are right. Make sure he uses the utensil too. Ouch huh?
    njoynlife

Answer by njoynlife at 8:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Can't he sit at the table in a regular chair? I would sit him down and place his food in front of him. It won't be long before he gets hungry and decides he wants to feed himself. Tough love mommy :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• wow my first thought was why can't he sit at the table? all three of my boys were out of the highchair by 18 months. I sure would not feed him either. I have a two year old and I have not hand fed him since he was 12 mo nths (at the very latest). Your son is playing you and you are falling for it. Put him at the table give him his food and plate...if he don't feed himself he don't eat. Good luck.
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• My first thought was "why does he have to?". He's three and exploring options. That's what kids do. He won't always be three. He'll move on on his own. I suggest that you let it go and it will work itself out. I do wonder why you are feeding him though. Do you believe that he won't eat if you don't force him to? If he is hungry he'll eventually eat. And if he doesn't want to use a spoon, who care? I wouldn't make him. Ditto for the chair. I would just make sure he has access to plenty of good foods and not stress over it. I would NOT make food an issue.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 11:19 AM on Jun. 24, 2008