2nd floor apt, kids jumping and running

We stay in 2nd floor apt, and the tenants below us(downstair) have complained to apt owner that that they hear jumping/running from our apt. We tried to stop our kids, one is 1 year and other is 3 year old boy, and it is very hard to stop them. Is there any rule by which they can remove us from apt if we cannot stop our kids from jumping and running around. What is it that we can do other than trying to control our kids from doing this.

munchkin999

Asked by munchkin999 at 7:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would contact the manager and see if there are any rules in your rent agreement. If there are none, they can't do anything about it. But, you are a good neighbor to attempt to keep the noise to a minimum.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:26 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Yes they can ask you to leave if the continue receiving complaints from others being bothered by it. (Loud kids are no different than any other form of loud noise in most places) Unfortunately that is the downside of living in an apartment. When you have small kids always try to get a 1st floor apartment unless you know for a fact the sound won't go through the floors (have only been in a small number of apartments like this)
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 7:30 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Yes, excessive noise, even your noisy kids CAN and usually DO get you evicted or moved to another apartment. BAD apartment manager to put someone with 2 kids in an upper floor! I had college kids above me...took a year and a ahlf of complaining and them flooding my apartment 4 times from above to get them evicted but I did it!
    Usually you are ok about kid noise till 10 p.m. at night then it is a valid complaint for the neighbors under you.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:33 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Try getting them outside more. Take them out to play 2-3 times a day for at least 30-60min each time. Make it a rule that there is no running or jumping in the apt & put them in time-out when they do it. Give them other things to do, games to play that don't involve running & jumping.

At the last apt I lived in, the paople upstairs had a kid. One day, the mom was at work & the dad was watching their kid & another (I think a niece). The dad fell asleep & the kids flooded the bathroom & hallway, which of course flooded MY bathroom & hallway. They didn't get evicted for that, so there's a good chance you won't get evicted for your kids making a little noise. Though, I guess that depends on your landlord, your lease, and how many times the neighbors complain.
    busygoddess

Answer by busygoddess at 7:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• See if there is a downstairs appartment that ya'll can move into.
    Amy75972

Answer by Amy75972 at 8:40 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• If, I was you, for everybody sake, try looking for a new apt. or a small house, I would hate for you to stay there and your kids can't run and play and be happy.
    lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 9:09 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• i lived in on a bottom level i never complained but it was horrid ...

they can kick you out..
    i would..reallly....try and move into a downstairs,

...or just move..girl..
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 1:09 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• We have been going through the same thing for the past year. Our downstairs neighbors complain about every little noise. If my daughter runs or stomps her feet (her attention getter of choice during a tantrum right now), we put a stop to it right away. Management had us all sit down together and talk about the situation face to face a few months back. It accomplished nothing. My daughter continued doing what kids do and they continued to complain. We were told by management that if the eviction process against us were to begin, it would go to court first. It would most likely be thrown out because they have the right to live in quiet surroundings, but we have the right to live our day to day lives which includes normal kid noises. The noise here is not excessive. The chances of us being evicted because of our daughter was slim to none.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 1:33 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• We were each given the choice to move to another apartment. Neither of us budged. We'd be looking at higher rent if we moved. We haven't gotten anymore official written complaints. We just have to listen to the nutjobs bang on our ceiling. They were told not to come to our door and harass us again, so they've resorted to this. Thankfully they are moving out in a couple of weeks. They had a bunch of animals (dog, cats, bird, chickens) in a non-animal building. Somebody complained (not us!), so they're leaving. We're counting down the days!

We know what it's like to live under an annoying kid. Our upstairs neighbors have a granddaughter the same age as our little girl. She spends the summers with them. She does nothing but run and jump day and night. Nobody does anything to stop her. We have never once complained. It's part of apartment living. We just deal with it.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 1:53 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Unfortunately i live in an apt but have had noone complain, had a few above me move though lol...The neighbours now have kids too so thank god they are good understanding people.....They once listened to my daughter scream at 630 in the morning for 3 mornings cause she was sick and just woken but seeing they are awake they were ok even tho i apoligised, i listen to their kids too but its not often i hear them and my girl is asleep by 7, although lately its 6pm.....hoping u get more understanding neighbours next time......
    helloistaken

Answer by helloistaken at 5:01 AM on Sep. 16, 2009