surgery

Okay so my baby boy had surgery to fix hyposadia's today! And he's really not that fussy or anything I'm pretty excited about that! Does anyone have any suggestions on keeping him from getting fussy and keeping things under control?

kcriswell

Asked by kcriswell at 7:44 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Does he have to stay overnight? My son was just in the hospital for 3 nights. The first 2 days he was very mellow (he was just about to turn 2) due to the Propofol used for the surgery. He basically just layed in the bed and watched TV. The 2nd 2 days he had more energy but wasn't in any pain. He was able to play in the children's activity room and he enjoyed that. I know they aren't allowed to use any toys that they would have to straddle, like any ride on toys, rocking horses, etc. Does he like TV? We just let my son zone out on Nick Jr and Noggin until he felt better. (he had a g tube put in)
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 8:11 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I meant to ask if they prescribed something for pain at home? Make sure you have something in case he gets cranky, even if it's just tylenol or motrin. Does he have one of those tubes coming out his meatus?
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 8:13 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• sometimes it can be just b/c the pain meds have not worn off...if they gave him pain meds then make sure to stay on top of it. It's a lot harder to catch up to pain than to stay on top of it....sometimes, if the anesthesiologist is nice, they will actually give a spinal that will last for up to 24 hours so the little guy isn't in pain. Good luck :) They actually don't cut THAT much when doing a hypospadius...they cut a lot less than a circ even...Iv'e done about a hundred of them :) so he should be ok..like PP said, even if it's tylenol or motrin, keep up with it for a couple days just to make sure he's comfy
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:27 PM on Sep. 15, 2009