I don't know what to do....Please help

This is going to sound horrible to a lot of people, but I don't know what to do about my mom. She has let herself go so badly that a lot of times its embarassing to be with her. She is obese and doesn't take care of herself. I have tried to bring it up in suttle ways but its like she doesn't care, and doesn't understand. I even can't stand being around her when she eats, and I tell her that it drives me nuts the way she doesn't close her mouth and so loud, but she doesn't care to stop I guess. I'm sad because I love my mom and wish there is something I could do to help. I am sure it comes from depression but letting yourself go like this cannot help you feel any better about yourself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• Maybe you can invite mom to work out with you? Get some mom and daughter bonding time and get healthy? Or sign up for some cooking classes to teach her how to cook healthier meals. Tell her how much you love her and how much it hurts you to think that she won't be around for very long because she's shortening her life.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:50 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• maybe get her to talk to her doc about depression?
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• She has to be ready. I got pretty big and a few years ago a male friend from high school saw me and just hugged me and told me he cared about me and wanted his friend healthy. That's all it took for me to start working out. If she'll listen tell mom she can sit and watch tv and lift 2 lb weights or do stretch exercises. These are very simple. I did those until I was strong enough to start walking. I changed my eating habits so you can teach her (or learn together) how to eat healthy meals. I am about the laziest person I know and I lost 50 lbs with those simple things. I did not do anything strenuous, no aerobics or hard core workouts, just simple things to jump start my metabolism. Just tell her you love her and want her around for a long time and you just want her healthy. Maybe you can do it all together. Movement is great for depression. She can even use resistance bands for stretches. That movement works well too.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2009