I dont have any dental insurance, and I have an abcess that is killing me, should I go to the hospital ?

The tooth is broken off at the gum and now is infected, no dentist will take me without money up front, and I dont have 300.00 to just pull out at any time! Should I go to the hospital for antibiotics or will they laugh at me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:02 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Health

• mybe try calling around to medical clinics in your area.. like walk in type things not the hosptial...
    good luck and feel better
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Speaking from personal recent experience, yes, the hospital will give you antibiotics and maybe even something for the pain (they did for me). You will still have to get the tooth pulled though, it's not always $300 unless you have researched all the dentists near you. Usually you can get a tooth pulled for anywhere from $50-$200.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:11 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Get some Ambesol and call a dentist in the morning. The ER will only give you a shot of a pain med, and that'll run you at least $150. You can't get the tooth pulled until the abcess is gone anyway. A dentist (if he's not money-hungry) will be glad to work with you to come up with a payment plan for the bill.

Even if you have to drive to another town/city, keep trying to call dentists to see if one will help you.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:21 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I took Motrin for the inflammation. You can put cloves on it. Some say put an aspirin on it. I'm not sure about that but you should be able to get what you need from the hospital and ask them if there are any dental clinics in your community. My dd's bf had to have one taken out and it only cost him $15.00 at the clinic. If they don't know then call a dentist tomorrow and ask them where a dental clinic might be.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:10 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I have a wisdom tooth that as we speak is starting to act up again. I also dont have insurance, so I apply tequila (yes the drink) directly to my gum where it hurts, and like magic, the next day by the second application, The infection is gone, and so is the pain. I swear on everything, I tried ambesol, and it just numbed my tongue and the pain came back time and time again, and it tastes nasty, So I thought of brandy (the old fashioned remedy), but I didnt have any, and I had tequila instead, works like a charm..hiccup!! J/k about the hiccup
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 10:21 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Go to the ER if you want...then when you are there ask them if they have a clinic in the hospital.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 10:28 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Yes. Yes and YES!! I had an abscess that developed over 2 years because of my fear of the dentist. I finally went in for something entirely different and that's when the dentist saw the abscess. I ended up losing the tooth. At least the ER can give you an antibiotic and some painkillers until you can get it taken care of. You don't want the infection to get worse.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:28 PM on Sep. 15, 2009