Is it bad luck?

Id like to throw my kids birthday parties the day before their bday since their bdays fall on weekdays? My mom says its badluck. Should I just wait or ignore superstitions?

NuyoricanMILF

Asked by NuyoricanMILF at 9:05 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• In certain cultures (like mine), it is considered bad luck to celebrate a birthday before the actual day. (It is said that if you do celebrate it beforehand, you may not actually live to it.) But being raised here...we incorporate the american culture in our lives and sometimes ignore the superstition if its too hard to celebrate a birthday AFTER the day (which isn't bad at all). If you feel that its not bad luck, then go for it.
    AneesasMom

Answer by AneesasMom at 10:30 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I would ignore that. I've never heard of that superstistition before. No it makes perfect scence to do it the day before. Hey are you a milf? Cool. I'd like to consider myself one too, haha. Glad to see you're out there!
    MommyTurtle1985

Answer by MommyTurtle1985 at 9:20 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My son's birthday is a weekday and we'll be having his birthday the weekend before because that's when the family is off and can come celebrate. I'd never heard it was bad luck but I'll be doing it either way.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 9:26 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I have never heard of it being bad luck, I have done that many times because it's too hard to try and have a party on a weekday.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:41 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Now, this one is new to me, but, I'm not going against your mom. If, she said it,it must be true,lol.
    lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 9:50 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• ignore that superstition
    No, that's not bad luck, never heard of such a thing. Alot of times we want to celebrate on that "particular day" being that it's special to us. We r the one that make any day "special", what makes it special is the gathering of friends, love, and thoughfulness and that can come on any day of your choice. A day before, day after, weekend earlier. My son bday is May 31, his cousin May 19, and the other cousin May 12. We don't have three parties. One party on 1 designated day and everyone have fun :)
    lovengrace

Answer by lovengrace at 10:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• For my kids I birthdays I always have the party on a weekend-- so sometimes it is before the actual birthday sometimes after (depending on when payday is). Then on the birthday I do have a cake and special meal for the birthday child with 'just us' at home. My older boys have summer birthdays so sometimes we do something fun on the birthday.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:40 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My son's birthday is July 4th and we rarely have his birthday party of his birthday. That is the dumbest thing I have heard all day and I have heard a lot of dumb things today.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My son's birthday always falls near Thanksgiving, so we always do his parties the weekend before or the weekend after depending on how the scheduling works. We have never had anything go wrong because we celebrated early. I say do whatever works best for you, and screw old superstitions and wives tales.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:35 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• thanks for the bitchy answer tyfry..just because you dont agree with something doesnt automatically make it dumb.My heritage believes it bad luck to celebrate before birthday no need for the insults but obviously youre ignorant.
    NuyoricanMILF

Answer by NuyoricanMILF at 12:10 PM on Sep. 17, 2009