Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it mold? And what happens if it is?

Jazzy has been really fussy the last couple days, and she's exhibiting signs of being a little sick, like she's really tired (not lethargic), and she's spitting up more (she usually doesn't at all), and her poo is smellier and is now giving her a rash.

Tonight, while i was watching her drink her bottle, I noticed this weird stuff on the bottom (it's one of those vent air ones that has a detachable bottom piece that lets in oxygen while the baby drinks). I checked her other bottles, and 3 out of 4 of them have this weird stuff on them. It's barely anything, but it's in the little holes that let in the oxygen, and one's black, one's green-ish yellow, and one is brown. Is it mold? And is it making her sick? And what if it is, what do I do?

Also, the holes are really tiny, so I have to idea how to clean them! Should I toss them and buy another set? Or what? I'm really worried!

 
Call-Me-Mommy

Asked by Call-Me-Mommy at 9:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • i noticed that too, use a bottle brush that should get ride of it, yea it sounds like mold. i doubt it would make him sick but you can alway call you doctor. just rinse them after you done i know its a pain lol. sometime i forgot them and they fall behind my bed they are pretty gross then lol.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

  • I never noticed it before because the holes are really small, so I don't know how long they have been like that.
    Call-Me-Mommy

    Answer by Call-Me-Mommy at 9:17 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

  • I would try boiling the pieces for about 5 minutes.
    Kword

    Answer by Kword at 9:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

  • Boil them, I wouldn't think baby is sick from that but if you are worried call doc. When I had those bottles i would bend and fold that particular piece in different directions so that I could clean it good.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

  • It does sound like mold, I would toss them out, I don't know if mold would make your baby sick, but it is really hard to completely kill. I used to have bottles with my first daughter and when we would find a "lost" bottle, it was better to just get rid of it.

    Trust your mommy gut if you think your daughter is sick, it's better to be safe, then sorry.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

  • Well moms I would have to say it is mold.. but mom listen.. you have to clean the bottles with some bleach! I know it sounds harmful to you and for the baby, but it works.. Not alot of it just put some in the dish water and let them (bottles-cups) sit for about 5 min and than wash them fully! everything will be ok... and ask you dr if she could be allergic to something on or in the bottle???
    Linsigirl26

    Answer by Linsigirl26 at 12:13 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN