How do you get your kids to do their homework?

My two daughters (ages 6 and 7) do their homework mostly with no problems - unless they are tired, then there is a little bit of whining, but nothing unmanageable.

My 12yr old 7th grader stepson is another story. While we are able to get him to do his homework when he is with us (we use TV and vid games as currency), his single mother claims "I can't make him do his homework", and then lets him play violent video games until midnight or later on school nights.

So, I was curious - how old are your kids, what is the homework routine in your house, how do you handle "I don't want to" or "I can't do it" situations?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• my kids have to get it done first thing when they get home from school. no tv. video games. nothing until it is done. I got it through their heads that the quicker they do their homework the more play time they have for the rest of the day - it works
    Kayge

Answer by Kayge at 9:33 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I have a 3rd grader and a kindergartener(ya homework in kindergarten--ugh)
    I dont want to doesnt fly...they sit until they have finished.
    I cant excuse...I usually check and make sure they're not having a problem and if they are I help, if not then the same sit until finished rule applies...

Sit until finished means, no tv, ds, dinner or other things until its done. They have a snack when they get home from school so they arent starving.

I do want to point out that its was kinda unnecessary for you point out that his mom is a single mom. what exactly does that have to do with it? Single or not a lazy mom is a lazy mom.
    I am glad your children are easy---for now atleast---wait until theyre 12
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 9:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My kids get a 30 minute break then they have to sit at the kitchen table and do their homework, no t.v., no goofing off. If they say they don't want to they get told too bad, it's not an option and if they say they can't do it I will sit down with them to make sure they are understanding the work and then I make them do it. School is their job and they have no choice but to do it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:36 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My son is seven. He comes home, has a snack and we jump on the homework. It's not up for debate.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:36 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• They come in from school, have a small snack, do homework and then chores. They have a chore sheet on the frig and it has to be done before tv, or playing. They know they have to do it , no questions. If they don't , they lose something and have to earn it back.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My 4th grader hates homework. She has to sit at the table until it's done or it's bedtime (8pm). If it's not done by bed time then she goes to school without it finished and gets in trouble. Basically most days she sits at the dining room table from 2:30pm (when she gets home) until 7pm. She wastes more time whining and crying about not wanting to do it.
    She isn't allowed TV, computers, games, music or anything until she finishes it. It's her choice to either do it in a timely manner so she can go play or not. She's old enough to understand the consequences (whether it's getting in trouble at home or by her teacher).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:38 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My step son is 11 and horrible with doing homework. After he gets home from school he starts immediatly on his homework. He can do nothing else until it is done. If it is not done by 9pm,bedtime, he goes to bed and he will finish it at lunch the next day at school or he will get in trouble and it will affect his grades. He has an IEP through school so that is why he gets to do it the next day at school. This year the school is letting it affect his grades so that he will learn the consequences for his bad decisions. We encougrage him all we can but if he flat out refuses he is learming that it only hurts him- short term he gets no friends, tv, or video games-long term-it hurts his grades.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 9:51 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My DD is awesome at doing her homework,she get her snack,then go to her room,my grandson 11 is the same way,but, then you have my 15 yr. old grandson he has to get a snack,change his clothes,he wants to talk on the phone,but, I just keep on him. Homework is the important to a successful education.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Bumblebee, I am only pointing out that she is single because she uses that as an excuse (hard to read my sarcasm) - I know PLENTY of single moms who have time to make their kids do their homework - she is not even working now, so she really has plenty of time to make him do it. She's just not interested in school, so she doesn't ask about his day, she doesn't inquire about homework, she doesn't check his gradespeed (the online grading system for parents) - she would rather just do the "coddling" part of parenting and not care if her child is falling behind or getting in trouble - problem is he is going to go from 12yr old behavior to 18yr old behavior in a flash and then it'll be too late. So, that's all - just being sarcastic about her claims that she doesn't have help....

Also, my DH works out of town during the week, and *I* am a "single mom" on homework days and somehow manage to do it...and I work AND go to college.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Sep. 15, 2009