For or Against?

WASHINGTON – The Obama administration supports extending three key provisions of the Patriot Act that are due to expire at the end of the year, the Justice Department told Congress in a letter made public Tuesday.

Lawmakers and civil rights groups had been pressing the Democratic administration to say whether it wants to preserve the post-Sept. 11 law's authority to access business records, as well as monitor so-called "lone wolf" terrorists and conduct roving wiretaps.

The provision on business records was long criticized by rights groups as giving the government access to citizens' library records, and a coalition of liberal and conservative groups complained that the Patriot Act gives the government too much authority to snoop into Americans' private lives.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:52 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_patriot_act;_ylt=AuROAm6BKwQMaYbJ0dkI9f1YRJ54;_ylu=X3oDMTJoMWFvZWNrBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDkwOTE2L3VzX3BhdHJpb3RfYWN0BGNwb3MDNARwb3MDNARzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3JpZXMEc2xrA29iYW1hc3VwcG9ydA--

As a presidential candidate, Barack Obama said he would take a close look at the law, based on his past expertise in constitutional law. Back in May, President Obama said legal institutions must be updated to deal with the threat of terrorism, but in a way that preserves the rule of law and accountability.

In a letter to lawmakers, Justice Department officials said the administration supports extending the three expiring provisions of the law, although they are willing to consider additional privacy protections as long as they don't weaken the effectiveness of the law.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:53 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I don't know, I've got mixed feelings on the Patriot Act. Personally, I don't have a problem with it because I never say anything I'd be afraid of the government knowing about. Yet, I don't like the idea of them being able to pry into the private lives of Americans. I think it might be a good way to obtain useful information IF possible terrorists use their personal phones to conduct their evil plans. Yet, I don't think they'd be that stupid, KNOWING the government is listening in.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I support the Patriot Act!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:13 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I don't have a problem with it b/c like a PP I don't have anything to hide. if they want to know my library records then they'll see that I love Vampire books like Twilight and the Sookie Stackhouse series and Harry Potter...they'd probably think I was just some teenager.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 11:07 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I kind of get the feeling the patriot act was a big lip service thing to show the government was doing something to make us safe.

I mean weren't the FBI and CIA doing these things before the law was ever passed? I'm just saying, I think it would be pretty gullible to think they only started after the patriot act went through.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Those who are bothered by it have issues to protect that are probably not honest. I agree with amyrw--a tour of my personal library will only reveal my love of Elizabethean history and Stephanie Plum!
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 11:09 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• OF COURSE KEEP IT! The PA has helped law enforcement keep up with the tech times. It has uncovered plots both here and abroad. And no the above mentioned agencies can't save the world. All types of law enforcement needs to work together and the PA offers that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Its been awhile since I read the PA, so I'd need to review what sections specifically he wants to extend, but based on what you pasted, AGAINST.

I strongly disagree with PsWifey (sorry ;)) and anyone who says only people breaking the law should be worried.

The constitution protects people from unreasonable searches and seizures. "Roving" wiretaps IS unreasonable. If you don't have enough evidence to secure a search warrant you shouldn't be doing that tap, or accessing those records and what have you, Any time the constitution is trampled on people should be concerned, even law-abiding people.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 12:07 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• What I want to know is why are so many people screaming about "less government" all the time so in favor of the Patriot Act? Just because it has the word patriot in it, it's no less a complete and total violation of citizens' rights. So it's peachy-fine for the government to be able to know your every move at their whim, but not to help get people affordable heath care?

Just sayin'.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 12:23 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I am against the Patriot Act. I think there's too much governmental control. I am glad my senator voted against it. Not that it changed anything, but at least he had the cajones to see how crazy it was.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Sep. 16, 2009