Better health care than the US?

If the healthcare systems in Canada and Europe are so much worse than ours, somebody ought to tell the Canadians and Europeans.

There's little dispute that the United States has the most expensive healthcare system in the world. Our nation spends about $7,300 per person on healthcare every year, nearly 2.5 times the average for developed countries, which is $2,964, according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.

[See 4 conundrums that impede healthcare reform.]

But there's intense argument over whether our system is better than that in other countries. Just about everybody with an opinion on the matter has a horror story to support it. To make his case for reform, President Obama has cited several Americans who suffered or died because they couldn't get adequate care or an insurance company denied coverage.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:55 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnews/4countrieswithbetterhealthcarethanours
    Anecdotal snapshots, however, tell us nothing meaningful about an issue as complex as healthcare, since the plight of a given individual reveals nothing about the effectiveness of the overall system. Now we know something more useful: how citizens in various countries rate their own healthcare systems. The Deloitte Center for Health Solutions surveyed 14,000 people in six countries, asking them to grade their own healthcare system from A to F. The standardized results allow comparisons among all six countries.

[See 4 problems that could sink America.]

If you're expecting to hear that the United States scored worst, then surprise! America was only second worst. Germany got the lowest grades, with just 18 percent of Germans giving their healthcare system an A or B. In the United States, 22 percent of respondents gave the healthcare system an A or B.
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:56 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• My brother is having some work done to his home. The "handy man" who is doing the work is from the Czech Republic. He and his brother will be going back to Europe soon. They said that they had done communism once and that was enough for them. They see the signs and don't want to get stuck her when it all comes to a head. They are leaving, and I mean quickly. They have 3 weeks worth of repairs. I find it very telling that they will return because they don't want to live under communism again.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:00 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I don't know what the problem is... German healthcare system is great! I am german and used the healthcare system for 25 years. Everything is free, just dental has a little extra cost, for pharmacy you pay per prescription - I think - 4 Euros (around 6 $). And that's it! You have healthcare even when you are unemployed.
    So yeah, germany has definetly a better healthcare system then the US!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 10:02 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• i'm going to venture to say of those polled, those who responded negatively are those wanting something for nothing, have a series of pre-existing health issues brought on by poor lifestyle choices (smoking, drinking, eating to excess, drug abuse, etc.).

and the countries where the people 'love" their socialized medicine, don;t have the kind of infrastructure or military strength that the united states has, nor do they create pharmaceuticals to the standards or under the same degree of scrutiny that we do.

you can't have it all, but there are plenty of existing countries you can go to if you want all the freebies your little heart desires, along with incredibly high taxes, virtually no military, minimal effective police presence, and a sense of despair instead of prosperity.

if this country sucks so bad, why di people literally risk their lives in order to come here?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Gosh, I'm getting tired of hearing about communism or Obama being a communist...
    Google communism and read a little bit about it and you will see what communism is...
    Does the government tell you what car to drive, what you can eat, what you can watch on TV or listen to on the radio or what job you have to take??? NO!!! That would be communism...
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 10:06 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I am german and used the healthcare system for 25 years. Everything is free,

what are your taxes like? do you work? or do you just live on the government dole? someone is working their ass off so you can live for "free." nothing in life is free....someone, somewhere, always pays the price! perhaps one day you too will pay the price for someone else.

and since it's the only system you know, you don;t know any better. can't miss what you never had. americans on the other hand know what we will be missing, when we are stripped of our choices, and we don;t want it! as long as i can afford a private physician i will pay for one. i refuse to have to be subjected to a sub-par physician in order to save the country a buck or two.

baaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Just for your information... I worked since I'm 16 and since I was 18 even two jobs... So please don't tell me somebody else was paying for me...
    Taxes are higher in germany, I'm always laughing when people here in the US tell me that taxes are so high... lol. In germany you pay 9 % taxes on groceries and 19 % taxes on everything else you buy... And from your paycheck it's about 40 % on taxes and healthcare. But I made 5000 Euros a months, so I still had enough left over.

It just breaks my heart when I come here on this site and read from so many mothers that there kids or babies need to see a doctor and they can't go cause they have no health insurance and cannot afford to see a doctor
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 10:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• In germany you pay 9 % taxes on groceries and 19 % taxes on everything else you buy... And from your paycheck it's about 40 % on taxes and healthcare.

yeah, well, in the us, groceries and non-luxury items are not taxed, consumer goods are taxed between 6-9% depending on the state you live in, and the majority of people who actually file a tax return and wind up actually paying taxes, pay an average of 28% of their earned income in federal and local taxes, and if your employer subsidizes your health insurance plan (upwards of $10,000 per year), employers pay anywhere from $20-$200 per paycheck--which is dependent upon the plan, number of dependents, and level of coverage elected, and is factored in to your salary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• the groceries and non-luxury items depend on where you live. I pay a 7-9% tax on these things. I watch my teeny paycheck get even smaller every year and because I don't have insurance (nor does my job offer it) I now have 10,000 dollars worth of medical bills that I have to pay for two, count em, TWO ER visits last year.
    Nikidu

Answer by Nikidu at 10:26 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Well I know that... I live here in the US since 2006 and just recently since we moved without a job!

So what's the problem to give a few dollars more a months so everybody would have healthcare??? Most people probably will save on the new healthcare system and spend less money...
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 10:26 PM on Sep. 15, 2009