Sleeping habits

my son will go to bed for any one of my family members..when I try to put him down, he screams like I am trying to kill him....what can i do?

chaoshappens

Asked by chaoshappens at 10:38 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't back down, make sure he knows you are just as serious as anyone else when it comes to bed time. He's trying to play you, all kids do. Plus, my son will act like an angel for others and as soon as he sees me will start acting up idk why but it is annoying and frustrating. I've heard that kids do that with their parents.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 10:56 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• that is exactly how he is for me, and i dont back down, it just takes me like an hour to get him to bed or take a nap...he just screams like I am seriously beating him!!! I agree..super frustrating!!
    chaoshappens

Answer by chaoshappens at 11:04 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Basically he is in a bad routine of getting your attention this way. I had to go through something similar - and it took three nearly sleepless nights.

I created a very regular routine. Bathtime and bedtime at a certain time of night, tuck her in, hug, kiss, say goodnight and close the door. When she cried for me I waited longer and longer periods of time before I went in to check on her. The first time I checked, I reminded her "it's time to go to sleep. I will see you in the morning, goodnight" leave the room. Each time I said less and less until I just went in there, put her back in her bed and left without saying a word. Eventually she wore herself out getting in and out of bed. Three nights later it was over - she was staying in bed without problems.

I found the routine of bathtime, bedtime, and even morningtime (same time each day) was a tremendous help in getting her settled.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 11:30 PM on Sep. 15, 2009