Why do mormons wear them funny underwear?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm LDS.

They're called garments, and like many other religions they are an article of clothing that symbolically represent promises we've made with God. Sheiks also have specific underwear as part of their religious garb...and like the sheiks there is an element of promoting modest dress with them.

But the main reason we have undies as our religious garb as opposed to hats, or scarves, or robes, or other common garb you might see, is that we don't have any paid clergy.

We have to be able to work, wear uniforms, and we don't want to have to take off our garb to do that. So we keep it underneath, and there's no problems - even military personnel can wear them in combat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• The answer you have above is wonderful. But I do want to add that not every LDS/Mormon wears them. Infact there was a post on here a few weeks ago with a similar answer where one women said that it tended to be only those who were very active in the church or the older generations in her congregation that wore them. We have a decent sized Mormon population here and I can say that none of the Mormons I have been close to wore them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:18 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• you checking out your friends under roos sabrina?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Only the ones I have shared a bed with... Sleep overs are common in your teens and 20s around here... So, yes, I have seen many of them in various states of dress and some of their parents as well... Again, this is what happens when you are in their home at all hours of the night with the munchies...

Oh, and then there are those I slept with... Although at that moment they didn't have any "under roos" on... So I guess that wouldn't count!

Do you wanna know what Catholic's wear to bed too?? How about Satanists?? Really, have you never seen your girlfriends getting dressed to go out?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:26 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Sabrina's right. You have to be an adult and living up to pretty high devotion standards before you're even allowed to make the covenants that go with them.

And she doesn't have to be checking her friends out to tell, we've no problem saying whether or not we got 'em.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I guess my religion leaves some things between a man and wife...but hey can't put a blanket line of morals out there
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Wow, I never knew Mormons had a special undergarment. Guess I've never had occasion to peek at anyone without their clothes on! Ha, I suppose you learn something knew everyday!
    EmeraldsMommy

Answer by EmeraldsMommy at 11:56 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• sorry for being nosy but what is specifically different to "mormon underwear" compared to regular undies? is it just the underwear part or includes bra too? sorry i've never known any mormons & don't know that much about the religion.
    beachmom0703

Answer by beachmom0703 at 12:08 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Where do you get those they look very comfortable?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Sep. 16, 2009