1976 swine flu vaccine...

does anyone know if/how they have changed the swine flu vaccine from 1976?? The 1976 swine vaccine ended up causing alot of fatal side effects including Guillame-barre syndrome.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Mellyhayes, I am pregnant and in nursing school, which puts me 2x in the "high risk" category of those who supposedly NEED the vaccine. I refuse to get this vaccine when it comes out. There are NO studies that show the long term effects the vaccine has on a fetus since it is too new. Even the makers of the vaccine say it isn't recommended for pregnant women!
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 11:59 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• it is exactly the same vaccine technology
    Guillane-Barre syndrome can be caused by ANY vaccine-- generally speaking the benefit outweighs the risk
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:47 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• do you think it would be safe for pregnant woman & the unborn child to get the vaccine since its so new???
    mellyhayes

Answer by mellyhayes at 11:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Depends on who you ask. The CDC will say of course. But why would you want to inject a live virus into your system when it is so brand new?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• mellyhayes, my CNM (certified nurse midwife, delivers in hospitals) said she didn't think it's safe. I asked her specifically because I got really sick and we thought I might have swine flu. She felt that for pregnant women, the risks outweigh the benefits
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:05 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I had the 1976 vaccine in 1976 when I was pregnant. I didn't have any issues in any way, good or bad. Maybe I was just lucky, but I didn't get the 'flu either. A bunch of people had bad reactions to the vaccine then, and they might do the same now.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:53 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• They put more thermasol in it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Any vaccine can cause people to have reactions. I personally am thinking about getting it for myself and my family next month when it comes out.
    Ali-Rippy

Answer by Ali-Rippy at 1:10 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• http://www.naturalnews.com/027019_H1N1_pregnant_women_mercury.html

see full article at link...

"Is this an absolute scientific fact? No, the jury is still out on the controversy but, bottom line, thimerosal contains mercury. Even more importantly, the targeting of pregnant women seems unwise. In fact, the Environmental Protection Agency EPA) web site states that "factors that determine how severe the health effects are from mercury exposure include... the age of the person exposed (the fetus is the most susceptible)."

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 1:28 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I too have been wondering about this vaccination. I've never had a problem taking vaccines. However this time I'm pregnant and in my first trimester and I'm very nervous about it and leaning towards not taking it. Thanks for this post. i hope more people answer with both sides of the debate.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 3:50 AM on Sep. 16, 2009