"NO"! What can I do to make her stop?

My daughter will be 3 in November. She constantly tells me No when I ask her to do something. Me and my husband have put her in time out for it and talked to her about it... She's got a new teacher at daycare and everyday for the last week when I pick up my DD, the teacher has told me she keeps telling her NO as well. Every afternoon i've made my daughter apologize and talked to her A LOT about not saying no and saying yes maam and doing what the teacher is asking her to do. My things is though, she's a really good kids otherwise and is only at daycare for 3 hours a day. First thing when I get off work every day, I don't wanna hear that same negative thing about my child over and over. And we really are working on it. I know a lot of kids say no... I'm not trying to make excuses for her, I just think it's a lot to ask of a child and parent for a two year old to change overnight. This teacher is serious about it too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Sep. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think that it's really normal. As parents we follow our children around saying "no, don't touch that", and "No, you can't have that", No, thats not for baby, and we don't realize that we don't teach them when yes is neccesary. I would just start saying yes when she does something she's allowed to do. This will help her to understand that no is not the only answer to things. Make it a game to say yes alot. For instance, when she's playing with a toy, say "yes, thats your toy", or if she asks for something and you don't want her to do it just say "yes, but not right now. We had to do that with my cousin. We even made it a game to teach her yes in different languages. She saw it as learning new words, and she would use them all the time.Good luck!
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 11:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• she may be too much of a handful, I would go and observe her one day! A spankin would be good for her read Proverbs 1-4

say you are very disappointed with her and time out if teacher does this everyday! poor teacher! her hands are tied so you must discipline YOUR child! At least YOU CARE! KEEP SMILING!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• anon why would you tell someone to spank their 2 yr old?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• LMAO...WHAT? please do not listen to anon. That will teach your child to be aggressive. Violence is not always the solution. Yes, I am a spanker very rarely, but it should not be the solution for everything! It seems like your child has learn to say no fro someone, and if you hit her, she will think it's ok to hit! Wow, some people should never spawn!
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 11:36 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• Change daycares!!! This teacher is an idiot to think it is innapropriate for a 2 year old to say "no"! She should NOT be allowed to care for children if she is going to bitch about this. Please look for a new daycare provider... one that knows how to deal with kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• She's a toddler, give her a break! I would switch daycares.
    ronisaurus

Answer by ronisaurus at 4:14 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• this sounds crazy and impossible, but I have a highschool girlfriend who is like a supermom. when she had her first child one of the first thing she implemented at her house was to not use the word "No". I know, I called her crazy too, but she did it. In almost every case when the word No would have been appropriate-she would turn it around to use the word Yes.
    Instead of saying " No, don't touch the stove" she would say like " The stove is hot, you will get burned. But Yes, you can sit on the counter with me and watch" stuff like that.
    And it worked very well for her, she went on to have 6 kids and is still using this method, and I have to say I could have never done that but she does and has a very well running household.
    May I suggest the same? Try to not use the word No so much and start using the word yes instead and she may follow you.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:32 AM on Sep. 16, 2009