Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am expecting. I had a csection with my first and the dr wants to sched a csection for this one. Pro and cons?

Answer Question
 
Shepardgirl

Asked by Shepardgirl at 12:00 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Health

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • I don't really know much pro and con but I do know that the doc just wants to get it over. I would suggest you to make the decision yourself not to let the doc make the decision for you. Natural birth is much easier for body to recover. Please think it over.
    ocsosomom

    Answer by ocsosomom at 12:03 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • Of course the Dr. wants to do a scheduled c-section. He/she is GURANTEED to be the Dr. there for the surgery, and it cost more, so they'll make more $$ for less work! However, as long as you are not a high risk, and as long as you and baby are ok, then I would go for a VBAC!! Good luck to you, and enjoy that new baby!!
    This website give pros and cons!
    http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,4848,00.html
    MacyKaysMommy

    Answer by MacyKaysMommy at 12:04 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • since you're undecided maybe interview with other ob practices even those with midwives. that's what i did to decide second section or vbac.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • ok my first was a section, scheduled the second one so here ya go: i was able to walk and get out of bed ALOT sooner (that night i was walking around and made them take out the cath, the section was at 10 i was walking around at 6). you know what to expect since you've already been there. the pain was gone quickly as well, i took some vicodin in the hospital (never needed morphine w/my 1st i was on a pump for 2 days) b/c it was bad there but after 2 days i went home, and only needed vicodin maybe 2 or 3 times, but that was when i would forget i'd just had the surgery and over do something. you can plan everything around that, silly i know but its a pro. ok and the looks one, you already have the scar from the 1st section, go w/vbac now you have a scar and your lady parts will be diff too (like i said this is the vanity part), no contractions :)
    cons...you still may feel like you missed out on something, others will judge CONT
    vabchmommy

    Answer by vabchmommy at 12:52 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • CONT others will judge you (just see the above posts for proof of that) it is of course riskier than vbac, you shouldn't pick up your older child (i did after 3 days). really for me the deciding factor was that i have a TON of scar tissue on my cervix from previous surgeries and was told that is probably y i didn't dilate the first time around, so they ended up doing a section. so when she told me that was the reason and did i want to try vbac, i may have if my dh would have been home but he was gonna be deployed, and i was scared out of my mind that i would go into labor when no one could watch my older child and take me in at the same time. i got to plan it so that was taken care of, i know that sounds bad but personally i don't care b/c my son and i are fine so i don't care what others think. pm me if you have questions or want to talk it out, just don't let others force your decision either way.
    vabchmommy

    Answer by vabchmommy at 12:57 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • Okay, having had 3 c-sections I can give you some pros and cons--
    Pros--you know what to expect. You will have a scheduled delivery date, etc.
    Cons--you know what to expect. You know the risks increase with each one and that the odds are good you will probably not VBAC after 2 c-sections.

    Personally I am okay with never passing a baby through my birth canal. In the end it is your body and your choice how you want your baby to come into this world. If you are okay with having another c-section then that is okay too. If you are not, then it is time to seek a second or third opinion and find a midwife or someone who will VBAC you.
    Izsarejman

    Answer by Izsarejman at 1:08 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • well i had to have a csection with my 1st he had is feet in my right ribs and head in my left ribs. had him in mar 07 and dd in oct 08. in carson city nv they make u have another csection. i wanted to do vbac but after having the csection and them saying if i would have pushed dd out she would have died. cord was around her neck twice. but i had her at 7 46am and was up moving around by 10. cath was out at 830 am.
    knagsmom

    Answer by knagsmom at 3:53 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • the only thing is that if u have a natural birth no u have more of a chance that u will bleed out. watch the deliver me, didnt know i was prego, n other shows similar to this n u learn mopre bout what is for u
    candiebaldwin

    Answer by candiebaldwin at 2:02 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN