Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you attempt a VBAC?

Okay I am planning to begin trying for my second child very soon. I have been researching VBACs because I really do not want surgery this time around. I feel VERY strongly about this. I want to find a good doc or midwife that is on the same page as me before I am pregnant so I am not scrambling at the last minute. I am still researching quite a bit on the subject. I have looked into homebirth vs hospital birth when doing a vbac. Has anyone had a vbac and what route did you choose? What do you think is safer?

Answer Question

Asked by joelsmommy at 1:25 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

Level 2 (11 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • I am TTC my 2nd child and i will not try for a VBAC i will choose to have another c section .

    Answer by teresalangston at 1:29 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • I'm actually in the same boat your are. Let me know if you find out any good advice.

    Answer by lstrickland at 1:39 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • why teresa?

    Answer by dennysgirl07 at 1:40 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • I would go to the vbac, if possible. It's still the safest option. This website has some great information...,1510,4848,00.html

    Good luck to you momma!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • I'm sorry that I don't really have any advice from experience, but I just wanted to recommend Ina May's Guide to Childbirth to you. She is an AMAZING woman and one of, if not the, best, most well known, respected, and loved midwife in the United States. I have this book and if I'm not mistaken, there is at least one VBAC story in it. Do some reading about Ina May and you may find more information about VBACs and things that you will want and need to know before your pregnancy. I would attempt a VBAC, if it was me and at all possible, but make sure that is what YOU want before you try it, because it can be risky. Just find out all you can before you get pregnant. Find a great midwife (or OB if you feel safer with one) and talk to them before you start TTC.

    Link for book on


    Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:54 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • Good luck mommy and keep us posted on how things go!

    Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:54 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • Wellll, first off, the most important thing they'll ask you, and what you'll need to know is if you had the classical c-section or.. the more "modern" one now.
    The difference is - the horizontal - which is classical and the vertical - "modern"
    If you've had the classical - most hospitals and doctors will not assist you in a VBAC - there's just an incredible risk involved that is both life threatening to baby and the mother.

    If you've had the more modern cut, it's much more plausible. Some doctors are still iffy - because there could still be complications.

    I find out if I've had a classical or not on my next OB appt - but if I can do a VBAC, I will definitely do it. The recovery time is much quicker, less pain, less post-partum bleeding, and.. you're not all loopy when you first see your babe! And, even if I didn't have my complications during my first, and possibly this one - I wouldn't opt for a home birth.

    Answer by K_Sawyer at 3:26 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • I had a hospital VBAC. I went that route because I'm not comfortable birthing at home, whether first or fifth time around. I would have liked to try a midwife and birthing center for more of a "natural feel", so to speak, but they don't do VBACs around here so my only choice was a hospital. As far as which is really depends on you. If you can find someone who will attend your ideal birth situation, whether a midwife at home or a doctor at a hospital or anything in between, go for it. If not, then you have to decide what's most important to you. Is having the birth you want most important? Then you might have to have an unassisted home birth if you can't find someone to attend. Is having somebody there "just in case" most important? Then you might have to go to a hospital and make some concessions, like constant monitoring and a heplock. Ultimately it's your decision.

    Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:16 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • you can also check into a birthing center too, if you're not comfortable w/ a homebirth. to me, if you're in a hospital, they will look for reason to go ahead w/ a c/s and use scare tactics to get a c/s. def keep researching you have up to the birth to decide. i would go w/ a midwife too; most dr's aren't going to go w/ a VBAC unless you show up at the hospital pushing then they have no choice.

    Answer by mommytobobby at 1:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • If my doctor ok'd it i would give it a try.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Trying to Conceive
ov test

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
What does PIOG stand for??