What are some good things to get before I start breastfeeding? my baby is due Jan 10th and need to get the stuff thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Lansinoh. Breast pads. Sling. Nursing bras. Done. Those are the things you NEED.

You CAN get a boppy..but I found a regular bed pillow worked fine. You CAN get nursing tops...but I never wore one. You CAN get a cover but a sling works MUCH better.

A pump is a necessity if you're working, optional if not. Check out the Breastfeeding Moms group for pump recommendations on our resources forum.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:43 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Breastpads(I recommed the Johnson & Johnson's or the Lansinoh), lansinoh nipple cream, and really those are the bare necessties. If you want you can get a pump, but you don't HAVE to have one. Also, you may want to get a nursing cover-up if you are modest, and want to nurse in public. Good luck, and Congrats!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• lots of button tops,special bras and everything your first reply posted
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:59 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I second the lansinoh breast pads. They work great, but not all women leak. I did unfortunately. I never needed the cream so i can't speak for that. I liked my Hooter Hider nursing cover, but there are many ways to nurse in public while still being modest without buying a cover. You can use a blanket, or just layer your shirts. A pump really came in handy!! You can get a cheap one if you don't plan to use it much. Nursing bras are really nice, although some women just prefer sports bras (not me). Nursing tops are great too, or you can wear a long tank top under your shirt and just lift up the top shirt so your tummy isn't exposed (pull down the neck line of the tank so you can nurse).
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 2:02 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• ditto the PP but also add a really good maternity bra that opens for feeding, it will be a lifesaver, make sure you find one that is easy to open the flap on one handed, go in the fitting room and try it a few times to make sure its easy to do. Also something i found that helped were the tops that were made for breastfeeding, no need to pull up your shirt and lots of button up shirts helped as well.

Your going to need lots of breast pads, I really liked the johnson and johnson brand. I used a breastfeeding pillow for a while but found it not very comfy of rme but worked great for baby for other things. also I love the baby sling made feeding so much easier :) Good luck mom and congrats!
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:02 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I think the the only thing not mentioned here is that you should get a rocking chair with a foot rest on it in a nice, quiet room....we put ours in our bedroom, that way at night, I just had the night light plugged in right there and a small cd radio to play lullabies to help soothe. If you do want to get a pump, you should check out the hospitals...they tend to rent them out, or depending on your insurance, you might be able to get one free...or lower cost. I ended up getting the Medella brand, which is what the hospitals use, and it was such a life saver for me. Cograts...also, that's my daughter's b-day!
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 2:09 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• i didnt read the other replys just thought i would add what i use sorry if i repeat anything! i have 4 kids breastfed them all i am still currently nursing my 6 month old! i enjoy the lansolin breast pads they work awesome and so do the johnson ones! stay clear of the curity they are cheaper for a reason. A boppy pillow i never had this for my first 3 but man does it make my life easier now! Wic is an awesome program that incourages breastfeeding for every mother and they will help even if you dnt qualify they give out the best pumps ever and i am strickly breast feeding so the pump is nice if i wanna hve a drink or if i just have to leave baby! or sometimes i produce to much and it gets painful so i use the pump and store it in the freezer bags made specially for breastmilk they r awesome!! and congrats on the new baby!! if you have any questions id love to help in any way!! and its rough at first dont give up so worth it!
    Perdy

Answer by Perdy at 2:41 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• o and i forgot to add!! nursing bras are great but not very comfortable to sleep in so you might wanna try sports bras!!!!
    Perdy

Answer by Perdy at 2:42 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• make sure u buy your bras too big because they are expensive and your boobies r gonna get way bigger mine went from a-b to d in just a couple months.
    mudgirl

Answer by mudgirl at 3:24 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Johnson & Johnson breastpads, they are the softest. And Lansinoh cream.
    And if you plan on pumping freezer storage bags for breastmilk.
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 3:34 AM on Sep. 16, 2009