About joining a homeschooling group

What are the thoughts about joining a local homeschooling group in my home town, with different standerds?

Hislamb

Asked by Hislamb at 2:01 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Depends.

I've found it's usually best when the 'standards' are left at home and the group just focuses on fun things for the kids (park days, field trips, parties, etc.) & light-hearted adult conversation time for the parents (talk about curriculum, the weather, what you watched on TV the night before --- avoiding religion & politics).

I've tried joining a few groups that are religion-based because I've heard great things about them... but have found I'm not allowed in solely because I'm not Christian. I've belonged to so-called 'secular' groups in which I've caught other parents preaching to my kids when my back was turned & where the other kids have ganged up on mine telling them all about how they're going to hell.

So it doesn't really matter - secular or religious... leave the "beliefs" at home & focus on the kids & respecting each other's differences.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:09 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• It really does depend on the group. I've had experience with several different groups, some were great and accepted everyone, regardless of homeschooling style, religion, etc. Others were very critical and judgmental, and made you feel unwelcome if you didn't school the same way, or phone the same reasons.

I say it's worth trying, if you're not comfortable, you won't go back. Look for a group where you and your kids feel welcome.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:13 AM on Sep. 16, 2009