my 1 1/2 month old son refuses to sleep on his back... is it ok for him to sleep on his belly?

Rowans_Mommy_09

Asked by Rowans_Mommy_09 at 2:04 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I put my son on his stomach around that time, he refused also, and hated to be swaddled. But I talked to my mom about it and she said that she thought it was safer for him to be on his tummy, because if he did spit up it would come up and not go back down causing him to choke. He didn't have any problems and ended up sleeping through the night by the time he was three months old! I honestly don't see the problem as long as the baby doesn't any big loose blankets he could get wrapped around him.
    Richys_Girl

Answer by Richys_Girl at 9:39 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Have you tried swaddling him? If not, try that before putting him on his tummy. In fact, if I were you I would try a few different things first. It might be that the prefers to be held while sleeping, that he wants to feel cuddled, or that he has reflux which makes it uncomfortable to lay on his back. Try putting him in a swing or car seat. If all else fails, I say put him on his stomach but make sure that his bed is free of blankets, stuffed animals, etc., and that the mattress is new and the bedding is clean. I've read some research on the internet that suggests that SIDS is greatly increased by laying babies on used mattresses. I know that your doctor will FREAK if you tell him/her that you are considering putting your child on his belly, but some babies just need a different position. We put my son on his belly for naps only since I was always there to monitor his sleeping. For night time, he was swaddled.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 2:12 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• My daughter refused to sleep on her back. She had some gastrointestinal issues for the first few months of her life, so I think sleeping on her stomach felt better. She would only sleep on her back for a few minutes at a time. I talked to her pediatrician about it and he said it was just fine if she slept on her belly as long as I made sure there weren't things in the crib that she could suffocate on such as pillows and thick blankets.  They have been going back and forth on this for years!  For a while it was only put your baby on their belly to sleep then it was never put your baby on their belly to sleep!  It can be very confusing!!!!

Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 2:34 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't let him sleep on his belly without talking to your pediatrician.
    But does he like to sleep on his side? There are pillows where you can lay him on that will keep him laying on the side,
    here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Air-Flow-Back-Sleeper/dp/B000058CC4
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 3:43 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• my son was like this for about the first 2 months. i got a sleep positioner and set it up so that he was sleeping at an angle (so that he was almost all the way on one side, if i actually put him on his side he rolled onto his tummy). he also slept better in his pack n play than he did his bassinet or crib, or in his bouncy seat, so he slept in one of those til he was about 2 1/2 months old, than i was able to just put him down w/o any fuss onto his back.
    if baby is gassy or anything (that was his issue he had really bad gas) sleeping on the back makes the tummy hurt a little more
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:45 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• How in the hell does a 6 week old baby refuse anything? Put that kid to bed, it will go to sleep. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• None of my kids liked sleeping on their backs. If you laid them down on their backs they would just laugh and play. We were playing around giving them tummy time one afternoon and as soon as I put them on their tummys they got quiet and calmed down, after 5 minutes they were knocked out. I was really nervous of them not breathing so while they were on the floor sleeping I would stick a blanket in front their face just to make sure they would move their head. As soon as the blanket or object was in their face they moved their head. I started letting them sleep on their bellies, but just made sure there was nothing else in the crib with them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Niether child of mine slept on their backs, They hated it. My daughter had reflux, so that just made the pain more terrible for her
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:13 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

Not every child is the same. There is absolutely no need to be rude.

My daughter would sleep on her back but she would whine all night, her sleep was very broken causing her to be crabby all the time. I bought a side sleeper and she slept fine after that. Good Luck.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 10:41 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Sorry " my daughter would not sleep on her back"
    lilysmom2607