Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do i obtain medication if i dont have insurance

I am positive i have ADHD but i dont have health care coverage due to unemployment. and i have been struggling with this issue for quite some time. how do i recieve medical attention for the ADHD if i cant afford to pay for it without health care?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Health

Answers (6)
  • Maybe the health department can help you out? I do know that there are some natural pills you can take for ADHD. I know that sometimes it can be cause by allergies to some of the food you eat. I know my brother who has ADHD couldn't have anything with red dye in it. I don't know first hand how they work but its worth a shot! Here is a link that may help you out.

    Answer by Frogbaby83 at 2:28 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • If you are unemployed, do you qualify for state medical? Where I live, there are different levels of Medicaid or Medical care provided by the state & they are income dependent. When DH & I were both unemployed at the same time, we were able to get coverage. Even after we both started working, our children still qualified--the income limits were higher than I thought they would be. I would check into that. If it isn't an option, call a physician's office & talk to them. They may offer a payment plan or you can see if they offer a hardship rate or ask for the insurance rate which is often lower than the price they quote you at first. Good luck!

    Answer by funnyface1204 at 2:32 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • Cash? See if you qualify for Medicaid.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:08 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • First of all, if you think you have ADHD, you need to see a psychiatrist or therapist that specializes in ADHD, not a physician. Some of these offices have a sliding scale system, so your charge is based on your income. They may also be able to help you find programs to help pay for the meds, if they prescribe any.
    ADHD is NEVER caused by food allergies. Some food allergies cause symptoms that are similar to ADHD symptoms, which can lead to a misdiagnosis of ADHD. True ADHD does NOT go away due to dietary changes.
    Also, since you're unemployed, I agree that you should apply for Medicaid.

    Answer by busygoddess at 5:01 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website:



    Answer by rkoloms at 6:26 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • Use some of your internet dollars to help pay for what is really needed.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.