My son was advancing fast... now he's not.

So my son did everything early. he was rolling over at three months, crawing at five. I did the math and he started talking before nine months. his first words were "stop-it". I thought that it might be normal for some kids to do this but a few weeks after that he said his first sentence. Both my husband and I were shocked that he said a full and complete sentence at such a young age. My son by 18 months knew all of his colors and shapes. After the 18 month park it seems like all of his learning came to a pause. Now he is three and he'll learn new words but nothing more than that. He can't remember numbers, or letters. Some other kids his age can write there names. He can't.
If anyone has had a kid that has done this kind of thing and is older now please let me if this is just a phase. I also want to know if children that learn fast when they are baby's have a harder time learning when they are older.

JenFunSniffer

Asked by JenFunSniffer at 2:36 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'd recommend talking to your pediatrician about this. A regression or halt in progression is something that should be checked out and monitored.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• My son learned stuff fast and early as a baby too, spoke his first words and sentences before he could sit up even. Now he's much more average. Still smarter than most kids his age but it's not like he's reading at a third grade level or doing tricky math. Early childhood abilities tend not to be a strong predictor of ability in later life.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 2:37 PM on Sep. 16, 2009