should i start DD on oatmeal baby cereal already?

she will be 4 months in 4 days, and now she seems like she wants to eat every 1 1/2 about 4 to 5 oz, and i am thinking if i could start her on oatmeal cereal? and if so how do i alternate it with her normal milk feedings?

maryfer

Asked by maryfer at 3:13 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would start out with the baby rice cereal not the oatmeal. And I wouldn't necessarly used it in place of a meal but in addition to a meal. Maybe just try to get her to eat a few tablespoons and then give her the feeding?
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 3:15 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Just add it to her feedings. Take a little formula from the bottle to make the cereal with. Not too thick, she has to get used to swallowing. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:16 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• do rice first, then oatmeal.
    mudgirl

Answer by mudgirl at 3:20 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Do rice cereal first. I gave rice to my dd at 3.5 mos and she loved it! I just gave it to her right after I ate my lunch and it didn't mess with her sleep or anything. Oatmeal is a lot thicker and my dr recommended rice cereal before oatmeal... I just fed her a serving of rice cereal once a day and when she got hungrier around 5-6 mos I added a mid morning snack in there as well. We just did 3-4 baby spoonfuls the first couple times and added more as time went on
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:24 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• umm what is the difference on starting her on rice first?
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 3:25 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I tried my daughter on rice cereal at 4 months. She didn't like it. After talking to the pediatrician he told me to try oatmeal cereal and she loved it.
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 3:27 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Rice is supposed to be less allergenic. HOWEVER...if you're going to strt solids, don't even bother with cereal.

Mashy some banana and give it to her on a spoon,. Absolutely NO reason to give cereal,...it offers nothing that's not in the baby's formula or breastmilk. Solids are to be offered immediately following a feeding of breastmilk or formula. Never before, not separately. They are for teaching the baby how to handle other tastes and textures. That's ALL.

No mixing it into the bottle UNLESS directed by doc for reflux. It's a choking and aspiration risk...and defeats the whole purpose of teaching baby to deal with other tastes and textures.

Solids are NOT to replace the formula or breastmilk feedings. Formula or breastmilk is the baby's MAIN food all through year one...baby CAN do without soloids but misses out if you reduce her liquid diet. So expect you will STILL be feeding as many bottles as you have been.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:41 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• you could also make larger bottles (8 oz) as for mixing it in the bottle, my doc recommended doing so for my son when he was 3 months old (just about a 1/2 - 1 teaspoon added to the bottle) b/c he was wanting a full 8 oz every 2 hours or less. since then (he'll be 4 months next week) he waits about 4-5 hours between feedings (we tried the spoon approach w/a small amount of cereal and he wouldn't take it off a spoon) also, if you decide to go with food instead of cereal, i would suggest going with a veggie first, that way in a month or so when you want to make more options available to your baby, she doesn't already have a sweet tooth
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:42 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Cereal in the bottle is a choking hazard!!!

Answer by rkoloms at 10:25 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I waiting with both my boys till they were six months to give them anything but breast milk/formula. I don't remember how much they were taking in but it was a good 8 -12 oz.
    They were not little guys (8 lbs 9 oz and 8 lb 15 oz at birth). I remember being told many times by moms that a big baby needed more then breast milk/formula...if they needed more would they be that big?
    My doc discussed all this with us at well baby checks.
    lckt

Answer by lckt at 9:51 AM on Sep. 17, 2009