My 5 yr old has been on meds for ADHD for four months.

,but he has had too switch them three times--now he is in Kindergarden---my question is big--his teachers can not handle him and he was sent home last Fri---and then his princiable asked me too keep him home on Mon. I so want to know my rights--all of the teachers that call me tell me how smart he is and he just does not want to listen to the rules and how great of a mom I must be to have worked with him as much as I did---I feel like a failure if he is not listening---I talk to him outright and tell him the truth--did I do wrong with that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you had him tested for food allergies? When my niece was little she was the same way .They found out she was allergic to wheat and when they changed her diet, her behavior changed too.
    rubymoon57

Answer by rubymoon57 at 3:56 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• As far as your (& your son's) rights, read up on the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). Ask your son's school about an IEP. They cannot refuse to educate him just because he has a legitmate medical condition that makes it difficult.
    I'm a little confused about the last part of your post, though. Are you saying you explained to your son about him having ADHD & you're wondering if that was worng? If so, no it wasn't wrong. The more you & he learn bout ADHD, the better off he'll be.
    Or are you saying you explained to him why he had to leave school on Fri & couldn't go back on Mon & you're wondering if that was wrong? Again, no it wasn't. He needs to understand that this was a consequence of his constant disruption. People with ADHD often don't realize how irritating their behavior can be to others. Learning that helps them be more aware of their behavior.
    busygoddess

Answer by busygoddess at 5:26 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• It can sometimes take several changes of meds and different doses to get it right. Also, some foods can make adhd worse. My kids cannot eat processed foods with preservatives in them, so things like chips, prepackaged cookies/brownies/cake mixes, etc. they can't have or their symptoms get worse. Another thought is how was he diagnosed? Is it possible that the diagnosis is wrong? My kids' dr told me that if a child does not have adhd, the meds used to treat it will make them hyper and out of control. As for your rights, I would try talking to your son's dr. Our dr gave me a copy of some paperwork that said what the school had to do, and what they didn't have to do in order to work with us and the adhd. Going to the school might work, too, but if they've already asked you to keep him home, they might be wrong and therefore won't want to give you anything that will help you prove they are wrong. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:55 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• It took several changes in meds before my sons was just right. I was allways very aware of how a new med affected him so if it wasnt right I could change it asap.
    Vyvance is what is working for him now.
    I know its hard, and frusterating as a mommy feeling like you are trying your best and things arent going right. keeo your chin up. set up a reward an punishment system for him at home based on his school day. and keep an open relationship with the doc about meds.
    GOOD LUCK
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:10 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Have gotten rid of toxins in your home? I don't know how much you know about the effects of chlorine bleach of lysol of other cleaning products that have harmful chemicals in them. People I work with have had great results with their ADHD children by getting healthier, safer products in their homes. I don't know if I can place a webpage here but here goes: for toxin info: www.livetotalwellness.com/teacher
    clockmath

Answer by clockmath at 11:36 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• You just might have to change his medicine again...which I know sucks.

Is his daddy in his life bc he needs a father figure especially him being a boy boys will be boys.

Don't worry too much about it all that I have read sounds positive other than him not listening but c'mon what kid does at that age. The teachers don't want to deal with him that is wrong for them to not want him in school hell no don't let him get further behind just continue to talk to him until he gets it, In the mean time send him to school. This will soon pass just hang in there. After all he is only a child. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:17 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• HAve you called your son's doc and discussed the situation with him? I think it is most likely against the law for a school administrator to ask you to keep him out of school, unless he is sick. Does he have an IEP? If he is that difficult to the teachers, the school is required to provide him with a one-on-one classroom aide to assist him through the day. I would call your school psychologist and ask for an IEP meeting. My dd was diagnosed with ADHD in Kindergarten, we have had to switch her meds quite a few times and have settled on Focalin. Possibly his dose is too low, or he is taking it too early in the day to be fully effective. I would say to continue to talk to him about his behavior and tell him that it isn't his fault when he acts out, the ADHD is what makes it happen. The meds that are prescribed for ADHD actually regulate a chemical imbalance in the brain, it sounds like his aren't fully doing that. GL!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 1:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2009