Why do you think my cat ate her kitten?

I got back from the store and saw her already more than half way done with it and I couldn't save it anymore:( the other 3 died and the only one that survived she ended up eating it when it was 4 days old:(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Pets

• Animals can sense when there is something wrong with their young and they usually deal with it by eating them.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:14 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• My cat had this happen twice. Once she had 2 kittens come out dead and she ate them... the second time two came out alive and she ate them. I took it as she needed to get fixed and couldn't handle motherhood! Before this happened she had a litter of 6 kittens at 8 mos old. I think it was too young for her or something. I actually was there (I was the only person she allowed to be in the room when she had any of these kittens) for everything and grabbed her but not before she had taken a bit of one of the kittens. She knew.... I have no idea what, but the last two times of labor was really easy compared to the first.
    Also, sometimes animals do this when they don't want people around... if they are new or something. but I think my cat handled all she could the first time!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:22 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• yea first poster is right...we had a puppy when i was a toddler that ate her own pups...my mother stopped her before the last one and took them to the vet and vet told her the puppy had something wrong with it (i was too young to know what was exactly wrong) and the mother was taking care of the problem...its instinct in an animal to eat thier young if they are not going to survive.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 7:30 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Please get your cat fixed. There are far too many cats and kittens in shelters. Our local shelter took in over 600 cats and kittens in the month of August alone. Obviously most of them end up being put down. I am a foster home that pulls from that shelter so I know how bad it really is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• get your cat fixed... your obviously not experience enough, nor a breeder to handle your cat getting pregnant. If you will not fix your cat, then you dont deserve to own it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• animals do that if they sense something is wrong with their babys. and sometimes even if their isnt anything wrong and they smell that you've touched them right after they were born they'll eat them too. Not all the time but ive seen it happen!
    armymum1013

Answer by armymum1013 at 6:21 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• holy hell anon 3:20 and 5:06 not everyone has money to fix their animals it tends to be exspensive so get off ur soap box..sweetie if she was a first time mommy its normal sometime a 1st timer doesnt know how to take care of them or she senses something is wrong with them that we cant tell also pp was rite if u touched them right away sometimes that will cause it to no matter how many litters they have when i was younger and my cats had kittens i didnt allow anyone to touch them intill their eyes were open
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:56 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Something was probably wrong with it. Depending on the cat's age the kittens could have all had problems. I had a foster kitten who was about 4 months old when she came to us. I noticed she was a bit round, and my first thought was worms. Well, after vet check she was pregnant. Well, we did everything to help her and the kittens. Since she was so young she could not care for them very well and she eventually abandoned them. We tried our best but they had so many medical issues because she was so young. She's since been spayed and found a good home. It's really sad when you can't save the babies.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:43 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• holy hell anon 3:20 and 5:06 not everyone has money to fix their animals it tends to be exspensive so get off ur soap box..

If you cannot afford to take care of them then don't get them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• I agree with the first poster-Animals sense when something is wrong with their litter and they will usually eat them or if it was her first litter,she may not have known what to do..
    Cloud_Dancer09

Answer by Cloud_Dancer09 at 7:50 AM on Sep. 18, 2009