Sickness

Do you take your children and family members to church when there are bugs going around? Last week 1/2 of our church was out with some kind of sickness (mostly the flu or strep throat). I have a 2month old and really do not want him to get sick, but I do not want to miss it either. What do you do when viruses are spreading everywhere? Go or stay home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:09 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, with a 2 month old, I would stay home. Possibly, you could get a recording of the service or at least some notes so that you could still learn. I personally wou;d not risk it with a newborn.
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 6:12 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• As for me last week I was sick and being a sundry school teacher i stayed home to prevent the children from getting it.
    tjb1127

Answer by tjb1127 at 6:21 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I'd stay back, especially with such a young baby. We can borrow recordings of our meetings which can be a help. I don't take ours if they are ill either and could pass it on to someone very young or old. I understand your want to go though. But sometimes it's more loving to stay away.
    Mamkind

Answer by Mamkind at 6:55 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Nope, I don't go to church when I have a bug - but I do go when one is just going around ( but I tend to be very cautious) - of course that don't always help either. My friends and I are very persnickety about going around each other when we're sick. I kept my kids away from people when they were sick and I kinda expect people to keep their kids away from me when their kids are sick.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 7:16 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I believe that you'll still be loved by God and church members for safeguarding your child's health no matter what age. If you called the office you could probably get a copy of that week's or the weeks' sermons, there's no reason to feel guilty about not going. Babies illnesses can last longer than adults so be careful. Maybe your church posts sermons and Sunday prayers online? When I can't get to church I get a lot from online.

Hope baby stays healthy!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 8:19 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• well, on one hand i can see where you wouldn't want to expose such a young child to the possibility of an illness...but on the other hand, there's always something going around. everywhere. you can't just quaranteen yourself all year--if you feel its safe enough to take your child/you to the grocery store, the ped's office, the salon, the mall, a relative's get-togethers...its equally safe to go to church.
    its your responsibility to not put you/your child in a situation that would welcome germs...don't kiss anyone on the mouth, wash your hands, carry sanitizer,share drinks, don't cough/sneeze on people-cover your dang mouths!! and especially make sure someone who is sick, admittedly 'had' an illness or is 'getting over' one doesn't infect your child by kissing/touching their face,hands, or all of the above.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:24 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Id stay home.

If I had a small child and there were that many out with ickies...Id keep my child home and so some sort of worship service at home on my own.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:39 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Sometimes, when there is stuff going around, and the kids have been sick over and over again, and they are finally healthy--I don't feel like going because I want to give them a break and let them just feel healthy for a little bit!!!

But we have online services too, so I can watch church in my living room (it isn't the same; it is distracting). If I had one that little I would be protective, especially since we don't vaccinate and germs are more dangerous for the very young.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:28 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I do now, but when mine were little, especially the twins, we didn't take them. Our church nursery is very clean but babies and little ones will be babies and little ones and you can't protect them 100%. We were very fortunate at that time we had 3 services so Dh would go early, come home and I would go to third.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2009