who to call during the switching of dr. days?

We just filled out papers yesterday evening to change dd's pedi.. Last night she had a temp of 102.My quick question is if dd gets sick today,which office do I call? probably not the old office but what if the new dont have her records yet?

Lindasmama

Asked by Lindasmama at 6:48 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If it's an emergency the new doctor's office will definitely see her without her records. The major things they need to know when treating an illness is her allergies to medicines, past illnesses, and any hospitalizations.
    They don't really need to know about her past weight gain, shots, etc.

Good luck and I hope she feels better.
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 7:01 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I'd go with the new one. If she's ill, they can still treat her without her records. The records are more to help with things like when she's not gaining weight, or trying to diagnose a major illness or disease. For something relatively minor, like a flu or something, they can treat her without that info, they will just need you to tell them any allergies she has, and any major medical problems she might have, such as diabetes or something. The records can come later. I've actually had a nurse in a dr's office tell me once (and I don't know how true this is, so take it with a grain of salt) that most dr's don't even really look at the records unless/until they are trying to put together a full picture to diagnose a major illness or an ongoing problem. She said they glance thru them, but don't really read them.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:47 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Thansk ladies. She seems to be doing okay except saying she is hot.
    All the paper work yesterday already had me inform and write them of past hospitilizations and things like that.
    The nurse who mentioned not looking at the files is what worries me about changiong.Her old office new everything about her without having to look at her file.
    Lindasmama

Answer by Lindasmama at 7:58 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• its ok if the new one doesnt have the records yet for a sick apt
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:54 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I would call the new doctor. even if they dont have her reccords it won't hurt to take a couple of minutes to fill out what you know about her records. I've had to do it before.
    crazy8

Answer by crazy8 at 9:09 AM on Sep. 16, 2009