DO you have vending machines in your childs school?

Does anyone have vending machines in your childs school? Have you had them and then they were removed? How did you get them out? How can we get them out? With childhood obestily on the rise this is a terrible idea. My school says they fall within the guidlines. WHos guildlines? Its awful!

ig1ggle

Asked by ig1ggle at 7:35 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Yes, there are snack and coke vending machines in my son's school but they are only for the teachers. The students have a bottled water vending machine in the cafeteria. As far as getting them removed from your child's school, I would let the principal know your concerns and see would could be done about it, if anything at all.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:43 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Nope. No vending machines at all, no where. We haven't had them there for about 8 years now.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 10:01 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Not in the elementary or middle schools, but we have them in the highschools here.

Answer by missanc at 10:21 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• yes in both middfle and high. My kids have complained they removed the soda and junk foods and have replaced them with water and 100 % juices, whole grain snacks and 100 calorie packs and is only on afterlunch.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:26 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• We had them in high school, but they have since been taken out of that high school. The elementary or middle schools here never had any. I would just go talk to the principal about your concerns and see if nothing else, they can switch the items in the vending machines to more health conscience choices.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:52 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• At the elementary school, there is one soda machine (in the teacher's lounge). Students are not allowed access to it. The only other machines vend only bottled water.

At the middle school, the soda machine was replaced with bottled water also. There is *one* snack machine on the whole campus, but my son says it's very expensive ($1 or more per item.) For $2.50 he can go to the cafeteria and get a complete lunch. There is no soda machine on campus of which I am aware.

The high school has open campus for juniors and seniors. I often see them across the street at the McDonald's, the Vons, or Subway.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• No machines in elementary, yes in the middle school and high school, but as of 2 years ago they only sell water, powerade, and milk, no snack machine's.

But the high school is off campus so at lunch the kids go either to the store, or one of two taco stands or the bar....I know that sounds weird, but we are a very small town and it is a multi use place and kids can enter...they also have the BEST burgers :). So even though they have limited the in school choices they still get the junk if they want at lunch.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• In my son's middle school they do and there is water, milk, juice and gatorade along with healthy snacks (granola bars, pretzles.)

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:38 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• To add, the schools are NOT going to remove the machines from the schools, they make too much money on them. When I was in high school, we had soda machines but they were on only afterschool and during sporting events or dances.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I teach in a middle school. We have vending machines for the students to use before school, after school and during lunch. The ones with drinks in them are full of gatorade and water. One had soda, but is rarely open. We have an ice cream machine and a snack machine in the cafeteria too. "The students are only allowed to go to the vending machines during certain times.
    kayteee25

Answer by kayteee25 at 8:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2009