Vax and health care coverage?

OK, at work yesterday our new health plan "spokesperson" was saying that our insurance provider is considering
1. denial of coverage for no vax families
2. increased premiums for non-vax families
I vax but feel its a family choice. I am not sure what I think of the two new proposals. What are your thoughts?

wildboyz1994

Asked by wildboyz1994 at 8:15 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• health insurance companies can do anything they damn well please, because we NEED insurance, they kinda have us by the balls
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:33 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I think it's wrong but unfortunately the health insurance company can deny coverage if they want.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:52 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• This is still America and we have the right to say no to Vaccines. The new H1N1 will have Thimerasol (49.6& mercury by weight) Mercury is the second most toxic substance on earth. If they made safe vaccines more people would use them. More people need to stand up and demand that.

widespreadpanic

Answer by widespreadpanic at 9:18 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I don't agree with it, but this is a capitalist society and it is their right as a business to set the rules. We are nonvax family, we would have to find a company that would cover us. I am more concerned that if socialized healthcare passes, that they will make vaccines mandatory.
    Kristin216

Answer by Kristin216 at 9:35 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Kristin, I thought of that as well. Is there anything in the current bill that requires it?
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:38 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• It makes sense. If you are at higher risk for illness (ie you aren't taken those precuations) then they should have the right to increase your rates, NOT DROP YOU. They should also raise rates if you refuse annual exams and other preventative exams/precautions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• wildboyz - they a re releasing a new bill today or this week, that is 800+ pages so it will take awhile to get through. The previous one only mentioned door to door "intervention" regarding vaccines.
    Kristin216

Answer by Kristin216 at 10:03 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• of course they want non-vax families to pay more... Children in no-vax house holds get sick less and need less special care, which denys them the option of raising rates due to illness. It's really that simple. They will get their money some how... Except from people like me that are smart enough not to have health insurance that covers the day to day stuff. There is never a need to pay an insurance company for anything less than hospital coverage, and even that is a sham...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:03 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Vaccinations are not the only way to prevent diseases. We live a very healthy lifestyle and have preventative measures that do not involve are childern being injected with harsh chemicals and known toxins.
    Kristin216

Answer by Kristin216 at 10:05 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• "Children in no-vax house holds get sick less and need less special care, which denys them the option of raising rates due to illness"

That's a really bad ASSumption. Vaccinated children don't get sick any more than those that aren't vaccinated.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:06 AM on Sep. 16, 2009