I am married to a truck driver.It is likebeing married to myself.Hedoes nothing around the house because he is only home on the weekend

we have 3 children at home .I am working 2 jobs to make up for his lower salary due to slow economy.I have considered divorce but i would get low child support because i make more than him.He promised he would switch to local runs 6yrs ago.I am really only staying because my son really loves hi s dad .Is there any wives of truckers out there alone like me

Ginnette

Asked by Ginnette at 8:52 AM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• My husband is a trucker - was OTR for 10 years (before we met) now he works in the oilfield and many many times it's the same he's gone from before sun up to well past sun down, and he has no days off. Sometimes I get tired of being alone and feeling like I'm running the house by myself. My dad was also a truck driver and I've heard my mom talk over the years about being a married woman but a single mom. I certainly get it.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:57 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I'd make a honey-do list, along with a list of what you do - 24 hours a day. He gets to sit and drive all day while you are on the go. Guess whose heart and health is going to suffer. Guess whose mental health, energy level, and with her tolerance to his slothing is in decline. Lay it out. Men don't get it until you tell him what you need - sometimes in writing.
    desmom

Answer by desmom at 9:13 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• When I got married my husband was a local driver.We had a great marriage the first 6 years and I had 3 children by him in my 40's .My kids are great kids except for the fact they are slobs.I have been trying to get them to help more it is a struggle. My husband does next to nothing when he gets home. I work nights and when i sleep in the morning he watches tv until he hears me get up.Then he spend the rest of the day trying to look busy and does very little.His work is slow so i am now working 7 days a week to keep up with the bills.I do tell him all the time all i do.I am considering a divorce , he says he will try to do better that might last a week or two.Right now I am overwhelmed. I have tryed everything to get him to see what this job of his is doing to our lives.I took out all the tvs in our house until I get help cleaning the house up this week to see if that will work.
    Ginnette

Answer by Ginnette at 4:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I too was married to a truck driver what fun that is! Not only did I catch him cheating red handed to this day he still denys it. It gets really tiresome of being no only the woman of the house but the man of the house as well. Due to the slow economy he lost his trucking job and was unemployed for 7 months talk about OMG go back to work that was me! However he is now working as a technician for a company and I know for a fact that the techs are not out as late as he is coming home 1:45am to be exact. Now how many of you want a tech at your home at that time of the morning? One of his comments he made to me one day when going into the office was "I havent met all the girls in the office yet". My response was SUCKS to be you!" Being a truckers wife is NOT an easy job and trust me I sympathize with you! All I can say is grin and bare it just like I have for 20yrs Happy? No I'm not but have 2 children to think about!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Ginnette hon all I can tell you is this. Find something that makes you happy. If that is your home and your children then spend your time on your home and your children. To what you can and to heck with the rest of it. I am married to a OTR driver myself and can tell you this. Those long days, nights, weeks and months are NOT worth it. I dedicated my life to my hobbies, my children, and my home and make it what it is today. My children are 4 and 11. There dad is NOT part of their lives basically and he often asks why the children dont listen to him. As, I tell him YOUR never here. I am their rock and their adviser since the day they were born so who do you think they are going to talk to. Out the door he goes on another run for 2-3 weeks then comes home for 3 days. Just do what makes you happy hon is all I can tell ya! You and those children are the MAIN priority!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2009